Are Cheaper Dechlorinators Just As Effective As More Expensive Ones?

Glegorly

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I managed to pick up some more dechlorinator the other day from wilkinsons for £1.99, the dechlorinator I had before was (i think) something like £5.75 and I was tempted to go for the more expensive API Stress Coat one for £8. Is there really a difference between them or are you buying a well known and well used brand?

A good question that I would also like to know the answer to. I've heard someone on here say that they use pond dechlorinator, which apparently has a higher concetration.

Dechlor is dechlor, whether it be cheap or expensive, I use pond dechlor as do alot of other people, its more concentrated so you use less and last longer, plus its cheaper because it says pond and not aquarium.

I use API Tap Water Conditioner. It does the job of removing chlorine and chloramine, at a drop per gallon. It's inexpensive, easy to use, and lasts a long time. I've been using it for years. :D

i too use pond dechlor (tetra pond) simply coz i trust the manufacturer and its cheap and lasts forever for a 200 litre tank at 10% waterchanges.

...when my dad worked for his first company - he made chemicals in barrels for the cleaning industry. One of these chemicals was literally a squirt of washing up liquid in a 50 litre drum of purified water at £150 a pop - I have often wondered how many products like this us fishkeepes end up being charged a fortune for.

Maybe we should sell our own dechlorinator - make it from ...was it sodium thiosulphate? and sell it for a quid a bottle. We'd be rich!

Ditto I've used pond dechlor for along time now and it is defo more cost effective than buying small bottles.

Pond declor here too, I think this one i have bought will last forever! :lol:

I definitely need to get some of this pond dechlorinator. Currently doing 50% water changes a week which works out just over 100 gallons. End up buying a large bottle of Aquaplus every week!!

I see Saz326 recommends Tetra Pond. Is this what everyone else uses also? Would it be available from lfs or somewhere like Homebase? (Don't mean to de-rail thread, but think this is valuable info)

Thanks

Would it be available from lfs or somewhere like Homebase? (Don't mean to de-rail thread, but think this is valuable info)

Not at all! I'm interested to find out where I can get this stuff or something similar. :good:

I use pond dechlor for our big tank, and the petsmart topfin brand for the others.
Both seem to work just fine.
Have used more expensive brands, and nothing different about them.

I use the King British safe guard 100ml and that's only a few quid! Never had any issues.....

i have an interpet one, but i accidentally poured most of it in lol, its meant to last for ages ^^

We use pond dechlor. It's a bargain and last forever and a day. We have neevr had any problems with our tanks recycling so it must be working! Think ours was from b&q for about 6 quid.

Kockney Koi pond dechlor, you can get it from ebay, or Ive found it in some LFS that sell ponds and hold the fish in those large vats.

10mls treat 750 Litres. I do 50% w/c 2 x weekly on a 400L tank, I double dose at 10ml a time, but for smaller tanks, just lower the dose, as I do on my smaller tanks. 500ml bottle costs under a £10, a 250L £5 :good:

Most reactions

Back