Aquascaping.

ollyhtafc

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey, i have a 10g tank with white cloud mountain minnows and i want to replicate their natural environment the best i can (rivers and streams in china). Therefore i want to create a fast flowing tank that looks like the bed of a river.

Any idea's how i can do this? I currently have a 200 litre/hour filter and i'm looking to buy an air pump although im unsure which size.

Does anyone know the plants i should be planting? The substrate? (currently sand) Tankmates?

Thanks.

For starters, you won't want to be using an air pump if you have plants, so you can cross that off your shopping list!

Andy

One less thing to worry about then! How would you increase the current and oxygenate the water?Bearing in mind space is limited so i don't want to be shoving a massive filter in there.

Airstones don't actually oxygenate the water that much believe it or not.

Position filter output to disturb the water surface is enough...

Andy

me and a friend had this conversation the other day. the best idea we came up with would be 2 small power heads hooked to an undergravel filter with a head in each corner on one side blowing across the tank. I was thinking about setting up a 20g long like this for some tetras.

UGFs are a bit old school now. Far better filters exisit now...

UGFs are a bit old school now. Far better filters exisit now...
i would still throw a HOB on there, i was just referring to it for creating a current. I guess the UGF would not be needed, you could just do power heards but the UGF would give better current.

One less thing to worry about then! How would you increase the current and oxygenate the water?Bearing in mind space is limited so i don't want to be shoving a massive filter in there.

The plants breathe out the oxygen, i'm not sure about at night though but just disturb the water surface anyway.

UGF are as was said earlier a bit outdated. The problem with them is you have to use a relatively large gravel otherwise they get clogged and you cant grow plants well in that situation, also the nutrients are not held as the filter puls them out of the substrate.

A small external would be best with a spraybar 1inch under the water pointing up at 45 degrees to create to current in the tank.

Depending on fishload this is the kind of thing you are looking for Filter on ebay

Chris

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
the best thing you could do would be to build a rivertank manifold. however, i dont feel a 10 gallon would be practical for such a setup. could you upgrade tank size, say maybe a 36 inch?

Fish tanks are expensive! The one i have at the moment was free as it was dirty grubby has no lid etc.A piece of junk basically.

Thanks for the help.I think anything that i could do in a 10g probably isn't worth doing as it'll take up too much room.

Fish tanks are expensive! The one i have at the moment was free as it was dirty grubby has no lid etc.A piece of junk basically.

Thanks for the help.I think anything that i could do in a 10g probably isn't worth doing as it'll take up too much room.

Have you thought about a 15g long? They are only a bit more, and have a great footprint for this type of setup. 20g longs are also fantastic.

Grubby doesn't mean useless. It is amazing what coarse salt and hot water will do to clean up a tank. My 20g was an old grubby tank.

But if you are stuck with the 10g, I think a riverbed is possible, just on a much smaller scale. I've seen entire forests aquascaped on a much smaller tanks than a 10g. If the tank lacks a hood, you can orient a HOB on the side of the aquarium rather than the back and set it for maximum flow. That may work to get the water circulated in the one-direction motion you want for a river bed. It is the cheapy solution, but not the best. They also sell powerheads that don't need to be attached to a ugf to be effective. I keep corydoras and was contemplating getting extra powerheads myself. Small, smooth stones are great to use scattered sparingly around the substrate and driftwood that is thinnish and has that blasted look is great. If you've enough light, vallisneria looks amazing, especially if allowed to drape across the surface. If light levels are lower, attached mosses, java fern, and scattered cryptocorynes will help with the look too. Aim for a scape with the look of a right triangle, with most of the hardscape (the fat part of the triangle) positioned closest to the powerhead, and the rest of the hardscape tapering off to one side. It'll contribute to the look of "moving" water which you are trying to create.

Good luck, sounds like a fun little setup. I applaud you trying to make your WCMM home more appealing. They will also benefit from cooler temperatures.

llj

Most reactions

Back