Aquarium Substrate

basa

Reaction score
:blush: Hi, I am new to tropical fish keeping, could anyone tell me if when setting up my new tank should I use some water from my cold water tank,and if so how much? Also, Iwould like to use blaqck sand as the substrate is this ok,and what type? Thanks.

No need to use water from the coldwater tank unless you are upgrading the fish in that tank to the new one (which if they are coldwater, they do not mix with tropicals due to temp requirements). Using a piece of the filter media from the coldwater would be good as it would help seed the new filter (this is where prob 95 to 99% of bacteria lives).

Black sand is fine as there a number of members who use it. You can prob find this at your lfs or online on a aquarist supplier like Big Al's or somethign like that.

Ox :good:

:nod: Thanks,should I take one of the foam filters out of my cold tank and put it it my new filter?
No need to use water from the coldwater tank unless you are upgrading the fish in that tank to the new one (which if they are coldwater, they do not mix with tropicals due to temp requirements). Using a piece of the filter media from the coldwater would be good as it would help seed the new filter (this is where prob 95 to 99% of bacteria lives).

Black sand is fine as there a number of members who use it. You can prob find this at your lfs or online on a aquarist supplier like Big Al's or somethign like that.

Ox :good:

If you are planning to try and raise live plants, Seachem have a nice black flourite substrate.

If you are at the early stage of just getting ready to fill your first tank, now is a great time to stop and read the pinned articles at the top of this forum, you'll be way ahead of the game if you can make yourself do this. There is a fair amount of advice about tank startup that seems strange but is very important and pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Don't hesitate to ask questions - just about everyone needs to.

~~waterdrop~~

:nod: Thanks,should I take one of the foam filters out of my cold tank and put it it my new filter?

yup you should, as WD said though there's some great pinned articles up there so have a read of them, start with the one's on cycling :good:

Most reactions

Back