Aquarium Sand - What types are safe?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For the comfort of my plants and bottom-dwellers, I've decided to switch the substrate in my tank from gravel to a finer sandy substrate. My LFS doesn't really offer any true sand. Is sand not geared toward aquariums safe? What about the regular old sandbox-style sands you find at home improvement places? Those seem to be of good consistency, but I don't know if they're safe.

Normal play sand is good enough for aquarium, which is sold in most hardware stores. Not all play sands are created equal, however - some are finer grained than others and you don't want this kind as it clouds water very easily.

I'm no expert in plants, but I thought for most plants, sand is not good?

Anyhow, also look into pool filter sand - they are larger grained and they are easy to maintain as well as looking natural.

i use argonite my self. Its a little untridditional but like it. try it if you like :lol:

By the way, both play sand and PFS cost very little - no more than few bux for the whole tank!

Yah- you might want to go with the play stand if you have a low budget however if you have money to spare i find the Argonite alot eaiser to maintain :kana:

Most reactions

Back