Aquarium Salt

Mercury2234

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently set up a tank, going through a fish-in cycle with a few Zebra Danios...I was wondering whether and when do you guys add aquarium salt?

aquarium salt is sometimes used to give sick fish a salt bath to help them heal etc. but i wouldny put it in the tank

I only add aquarium salt for medicinal purposes which, since most of my fish are corydoras who rarely get ich, is seldom. Even then I'm more likely to use it in solution as a short bath rather than add it to a tank.

I only add it to one of my Betta's tanks and that's because he was sick for a while. When I thought he was going to die, I put in the full dose. As he progressively improved, I cut back on the amount. Now I put just 1/4 of the recommended amount to keep him healthy. Probably 1/8 of a teaspoon.

I use to put it in my Guppy's tank but then added pygmy cories and at that point quit adding anything other than conditioner.

Yup, agree with the others, salt is not advised for most freshwater fish and is best left on the shelf for the occasional med use or other special situation.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back