Aquarium backgrounds...

SuckerLove86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not much of a DIY but here goes.

Well, after seeing how expensive aquarium backgrounds can get per foot, I got the idea to just use some leftover fabric cut to the size of the tank and taped on back. It hides all the wires, machines, etc. (stress relief), and you have quite a bit of variety based on your tastes/decor.

Probably not the first to think of it... but hey, just thought I'd post. I'll post some pictures in a minute.

I used background, paper, window tint..everything would get wet from splashing ans leave water stains so i got annoyed and painted it a few days ago with black paint

Black fabric is a good idea. My dad has a homemade wooden tank with only one glass window, so he had to use an in-tank background, which is quite pricey. He ended up spraypainting a large rigid peice of plastic (Used in flourescent light covers in offices) black using waterproof enamel paint.

With my twenty gallon I picked up a piece of white foam board from the craft store .. like 2 - 3 dollars and a cheap can of black spray paint .98 cents ... used heavy transparent shipping tape to secure it ... so far so good.

Attaching it is the part that can be improved ... I would think.

Good Day ... B)

I used black construction paper to, infact I like it better then the backgrounds at the stores.

i bought a 7 dollar background from Walmart and turned it around to use the black side. (aren't those pictures they put on them hideous?)

I spray painted a tank once .. but it sure used a lot of paint ... :S

I think the store backgrounds are fairly awful ...

Good Day ... B)

Actual it works vert well. I like it and it gives a good affect against my white sand.

First off I think the coolest background is a DIY cement background. There are tons of articles on this but I'll post just a few.

Aquarium Background 1

Aquarium Background 2

As for sealing a DIY tank, you can check out the link in my sig. It works well for me. 2 part epoxy works very well as well. West Systems seems to be a popular choice.

I painted the back of my large display tank with blackboard paint. It looks quite good, too.

If, at any time I decide to remove it, it's relatively easy to rub off, too.

Most reactions

Back