Aquarium Backgrounds, What's Your View?

russellbrooke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just started reaquscaping and i've just taken off my backing background.

What do you guys and gals think about backing backgrounds. Good or bad?

If you've got any pics that would grand.

I'll post a pic of my tank before and after, tomorrow to show you the difference in my tank.

I have used the printed ones you get at the lfs, and more recently, a plain black garbage bag. In the case of planted tanks, I truely feel that a black or blue background is the only way to go. The back is plain, and the solid colour doesn't destract from the beauty of the plants. It makes you focus on the plants.

I loved the printed on in my tank with plastic plants because it makes the tank seem fuller.

As for no background, it depends. If you have it against a wall with vibrant wallpaper or paint, it can make the tank look less natural.

I think it really depends on what you are trying to achieve in the tank.

What Jen said basically. If your walls are sans wallpaper and in a neutral colour try it without the backing. If not I think either black or even light blue would work. You could even try a textured background and plant some moss on it to create a kind of moss wall, very effective in the right setting.

While we're on the topic (hope you don't feel I'm hijacking your thread Russell, but it is kind of on the same topic!), I have recently siliconed the new Juwel Rock 3D background to the inside of my tank, and am already regretting it having seen, and liked, the look of having no background in photos.

I was wondering if I would still be able to see any marking on the rear glass, from the silicone, if I took the background off.

Has anyone ever successfully completely removed silicone from the inside of the tank glass without leaving permanent marks?

(If not then I'll leave the background where it is!)

Yep a few times. Depending on how much silicone you used just slowly peel the backing off. It will come free eventually just be patient with it. You can pick the silicone off with your fingers or alternative use some kind of sharp blade, be extremely careful though, if you scratch the back of the tank you are always going to see that scratch! Trust me I know from experience.

Thanks for the advice, I might give it a go, as long as I can stand the thought of ripping off that brand new background!!.....I'm just not sure it looks right though, and I guess that's what it's all about.

I know what you mean as the juwel background does look really good in a way, and if you remove it you are sure to break it. It's a tough one :nod:

I think i'm going to try the blue background. My local lfs uses blue, and it looks cool. I'll have to wait until my algae blankout has finished though.

Thinking about it, the blue backgounds are usually in marines, so...

I'm not sure. Might just go back to printed background. Who knows.

I tried plain black and dark blue backgrounds. I just don't like them -- too dark. I do like the bright blue wave-y kitchen vinyl I'm using now. Yes it looks too fake because of the texture of the waves, but I really like the lighter background. I can see my fish better.

I think i'm going to try the blue background. My local lfs uses blue, and it looks cool. I'll have to wait until my algae blankout has finished though.

Agreed. Black brings out the color of the plants/fish in a FW, but in SW the blue looks more like the ocean, and the bright SW colors speak for themselves.

i just put a background on mine thats black at the bottom and blue at the top, like a gradient. :D looks kool.

Most reactions

Back