Aquarium Backgrounds - Please Help

mark1980

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 48" x 15" x 12" aquarium. I have had it set up now for over a year and the only thing that bothers me is finding a suitable background.
I have tried numerous different backgrounds to stick onto the back of the tank and I always seem to get patches forming all over them from the condensation and it looks an unsightly mess. It there any way to stop this or any other type of background I can use.
I like the 3D backgrounds but they are expensive and I can't find any available to fit my tank. (Does anyone know where I can get one to fit?)
Any suggestions are greatfully received.
Thanks, Mark

I like the 3D backgrounds but they are expensive and I can't find any available to fit my tank.

If you find one a bit bigger you can cut them down to size with a hacksaw. They go inside the tank, and it would be a pain trying to fit it when the tank is full of water.

Most aquarium backgrounds (3d ones) are made of a foam or fibreglass or similar... all of which can be cut down to fit your tank.

Also, each panel usually 'continues to the next' in terms of pattern

I use black or blue cardboard from the newsagent. Just sticky tape it to the outside of the tank.

There is a way to fix a black bin bag on the back of a tank by wetting the glass first - this is a cheap and effective method apparently. Ive seen instructions somewhere on how to do it, maybe on this forum, maybe on another. If I see it I will post it.

I have just recently stuck on a photographed background and Im not sure if I like it.

You can take any plastic film or window cling and stick it on completely to the glass.

For the outside of the tank only. ---- Clean the back of the tank, spray soapy water evenly across (water with a little liquid soap mixed in), and place the backing on. Then work from the middle-out and squee-gee all the bubbles out.

Same method as putting window tint on cars or if you wanted to decorate you bedroom or bathroom windows.

Most reactions

Back