Aquamanta EFX400

porl66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, my daughter in law has an Aquamanta EFX400 external filter which was set up by Maidenhead Aquatics 3 months ago. Over the weekend I helped her to clean the filter out. Maidenhead had set out the filter baskets with small amounts of media in each tray and also coarse filter foam in each of the 3 baskets. I am aware that this is not correct.
What I want to know of you knowledgeable people is which way does the water flow in this filter....is it top to bottom or bottom to top. I have scoured the interweb with no conclusive results. I will have 2 baskets of media and 1 with course, medium and fine filter foam in.

I concur, it's bottom to top. (I watched some guy at my LFS setting one up last week - very cool)

Maidenhead's website says

Water enters the filter and is pumped to the base of the canister filter where it is evenly distributed across the base. From there it flows upwards firstly through the 15ppi Course Foam to extract the larger particles. The 2nd phase is the Activated Carbon Module which traps the finer particles, helps remove dissolved organic matter. Carbon also removes chloramines, Chlorine, heavy metals as well as helping to maintain clear water by removing ‘dyes’ from the water. Water then passes to the Advanced Biological Media which is where most of the transformation of ammonia and nitrites will take place through specific bacteria that will colonise on the extremely porous surface of this excellent media. In the final chamber of the filter, the water first travels through a Fine Filter Foam that provides additional biological filtration properties. The Phosphate Removal Pad removes unwanted phosphates from the water helping to eliminate algae and slime growth in the aquarium. It improves water quality and reduces maintenance requirements. Finally, the White Wool Filter Pad removes microscopic particles and polished the water before it returns to the aquarium.

Carbon isn't needed full time and the phosphate pad is also optional. I don't use either so I would replace these by more fine sponge.

Maidenhead's website says

Carbon isn't needed full time and the phosphate pad is also optional. I don't use either so I would replace these by more fine sponge.
They came out as soon as I saw them.
I will get her waters crystal clear for her :)

Most reactions

Back