Aqua One Or Jebo Aquariums - Any Good?

ey2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all,

Probably a sign of MTS, but I was thinking of getting one last (I know this wont be the 'last'!) aquarium and was thinking of the ones that had everything packed into them, like the Aqua One, Jebo or Jewel ones. I'm looking to get a relatively small one, two foot max - so probably something between 10-25g, would prefer something as big as 25g.

I've currently got a 29g and 79g, both freshwater communities. For the new tank, I'd like to have rummynoses (when the tank matures), harlequins and cories at the bottom.

I don't see many of the Jewel aquariums sold here in Oz, but the Aqua One and Jebo ones are quite prominent.

Here's the link to the Jebo aquariums:

http://www.jeboaquarium.com/R3%20Series%20...20Aquariums.htm

Here's the link to the Aqua One aquariums:

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/AquaStyle_aquarium.php

I was just wondering if anyone has any of these aquariums and if they are any good? Since they have lights, filter (and sometimes heater) built in to the unit, does this make everything including tank maintenance much easier?

Just wanted to make sure, as the LFS will probably give me the typical answer to sell me the thing. Its funny as these Aqua One/Jebo units probably end up costing the same or even more than if I was to buy the tank and equipment separately. The only difference will be the rounded/curved glass edges in the AquaOne/Jebo aquariums whereas the normal plain tanks wont be curved.

Hi all,

Probably a sign of MTS, but I was thinking of getting one last (I know this wont be the 'last'!) aquarium and was thinking of the ones that had everything packed into them, like the Aqua One, Jebo or Jewel ones. I'm looking to get a relatively small one, two foot max - so probably something between 10-25g, would prefer something as big as 25g.

I've currently got a 29g and 79g, both freshwater communities. For the new tank, I'd like to have rummynoses (when the tank matures), harlequins and cories at the bottom.

I don't see many of the Jewel aquariums sold here in Oz, but the Aqua One and Jebo ones are quite prominent.

Here's the link to the Jebo aquariums:

http://www.jeboaquarium.com/R3%20Series%20...20Aquariums.htm

Here's the link to the Aqua One aquariums:

http://www.aquaone.co.uk/AquaStyle_aquarium.php

I was just wondering if anyone has any of these aquariums and if they are any good? Since they have lights, filter (and sometimes heater) built in to the unit, does this make everything including tank maintenance much easier?

Just wanted to make sure, as the LFS will probably give me the typical answer to sell me the thing. Its funny as these Aqua One/Jebo units probably end up costing the same or even more than if I was to buy the tank and equipment separately. The only difference will be the rounded/curved glass edges in the AquaOne/Jebo aquariums whereas the normal plain tanks wont be curved.

I have an aqua one and i find it really good for my fry. I like the way the filter is all hidden and the tanks are quite cheap.

Thanks for that....what kind of filter is built in? Is it an internal one or hang on? How much do they go for in the UK?

Over here, a 33L (less than 10g) will cost about $170 AUD.

I've got the aqua 620 and I love it. The curved glass sides are brill!!. They are very well made but I didn't like the filter (too noisy) so my husband cut it out and I use an fluval 3, very quiet. :nod:

Really for a 38G i payed £50. The filter has an uptake tube then it sprays the water into a layer of mechanical filteration with the ceramic disks for biological fitleration before spraying it back in to the tank.

I've got the AR-980, and it's great - i Have added an internal filter as well as the one in the hood though for 2 reasons:

1. a backup filter
2. Wasn't convinced that the top filter was enough.

Shop around for the tank in Oz though - I got proces between $650 and $1400 for mine (including stand) depending on where I rang.

Aqua one for sure. I have 3 Aqua one tanks. The quality of them is awesome, and i reckon they look better than the jebos.

And yeah, as moeldner said, shop around. My 4' tank i got for $1000, they wanted up to $1500 in other shops.

Where in Australia do you live? If its anywhere near illawarra i know the best place to go for tanks.

Also, If you ARE in the illawarra area, there is a fish auction on this weekend at Kanahooka High Scool.

Aqua one for sure. I have 3 Aqua one tanks. The quality of them is awesome, and i reckon they look better than the jebos.

And yeah, as moeldner said, shop around. My 4' tank i got for $1000, they wanted up to $1500 in other shops.

Where in Australia do you live? If its anywhere near illawarra i know the best place to go for tanks.

Also, If you ARE in the illawarra area, there is a fish auction on this weekend at Kanahooka High Scool.

Hi Mike, are any of your Aqua One tanks the smaller sized ones - I'm looking at the AR-380. I haven't really compared the AquaOnes to Jebos, so can't really tell which are better.

I'll definitely shop around and see what prices I get, its hard leaving a LFS without making a purchase! I'm in Sydney metro, there are LFS everywhere but the prices do vary a lot from LFS to LFS.

Illawarra is probably too far.

I've got the AR-980, and it's great - i Have added an internal filter as well as the one in the hood though for 2 reasons:

1. a backup filter
2. Wasn't convinced that the top filter was enough.

Shop around for the tank in Oz though - I got proces between $650 and $1400 for mine (including stand) depending on where I rang.
Hi Michael - is maintenance really easy with the top filter that came with the tank? The AR-980 looks brill and $650 for the tank + stand is a good deal. Can't believe the massive price variance though, did u end up getting from a LFS in Canberra?

Thanks

Hi, I've got the AR380 and its a great little tank. No problems at all with it. I also have the Aquaone Windsor 66 corner unit (180l) which we got from local lfs - we got everything included, heater, canister filter, plants, gravel, lighting etc etc fr £500. Hubby bought me AR380 for xmas last year, he got the full set up including plants, decorations, heaters etc for under £100. I like both of them and they both seem to have settled down quickly. Would certainly get another one.

Hi Michael - is maintenance really easy with the top filter that came with the tank? The AR-980 looks brill and $650 for the tank + stand is a good deal. Can't believe the massive price variance though, did u end up getting from a LFS in Canberra?

Thanks

Maintenance is a breeze - once every month or so, just rinse out the media in tank water and put it back in - only takes a couple of minutes.

I got mine from an LFS in Canberra - in the Woden area. I'll look the name up if you want it, but I don't go there often as there fish are expensive with limited range.

A friend of mine (who is an occasional visitor to these forums) has the AR-850 from the same place. They paid around $550 from memory for that.

Thanks for the replies.

shereezy, what stocking do you have in your AR-380? I was just curious as 38L doesn't seem to be much for holding a lot of fish. I was thinking a shoal of rummynoses (say 6-8) and 3-4 cories at the bottom, do you think this is over-stocking?

Michael, thanks for the offer, don't worry about finding the place up, I'll check out the LFS around here, i'm sure i'll find some places with good prices.

Thanks

Maintenance is a breeze - once every month or so, just rinse out the media in tank water and put it back in - only takes a couple of minutes.

I got mine from an LFS in Canberra - in the Woden area. I'll look the name up if you want it, but I don't go there often as there fish are expensive with limited range.

A friend of mine (who is an occasional visitor to these forums) has the AR-850 from the same place. They paid around $550 from memory for that.

I see in your sig that you have cardinal tetras, bristlenose and harlequins amongst other beautiful fish - I was just wondering how much the cardinals, bristlenose and harlequins cost you?

Here in Sydney, pretty much most LFS sells the cardinals for $5-$7 AUD each and harlequins are actually hard to find, but they go for about $4 each too, and thats factoring the quantity discount too.

With bristlenose, I can't find any LFS that sell them at any other size other than juveniles (2-3cm).

Hi'ya
I have 3 zebra danios, 3 white clouds, 2 swordtails and 2 cories who all get along great. I originally had a couple dwarf gouramis but they squabbled alot (very territorial) so wouldn't advise doing that - I certainly learnt my lesson. I then moved them to my 180l where they then killed my 4 females gouramis i put in there so they went back to lfs. But the occupants i've got now get along just fine now. I've got mine in the kitchen, so it is really easy to maintain by just syphoning straight into the sink. i do find that that the smaller tank gets "dirtier" quicker than the bigger tank and at the beginning i struggled reordering the new carbon cartridges locally and ended up ordering them off the net but their a lot more available now than before.

I see in your sig that you have cardinal tetras, bristlenose and harlequins amongst other beautiful fish - I was just wondering how much the cardinals, bristlenose and harlequins cost you?

Here in Sydney, pretty much most LFS sells the cardinals for $5-$7 AUD each and harlequins are actually hard to find, but they go for about $4 each too, and thats factoring the quantity discount too.

With bristlenose, I can't find any LFS that sell them at any other size other than juveniles (2-3cm).

My cardinals came in two lots at defferent times, and I paid very different prices for them. The first lot were around $2 each, the second lot around $6. For some reason, fish prices skyrocketed about 6 months ago.

Harlequins seem to come and go from fish shops at the moment - you could try approaching a local store and see if they'll order them in for you.

You don;t want to get an adult bristlenose - they sell for up to $40 around here. Buy the juveniles, and watch then grow up. They get to 4 inches reasonably quickly.

Also - look around for local aquarium groups - they often have fish auctions where you can pick up fish for $1-2 each.

My cardinals came in two lots at defferent times, and I paid very different prices for them. The first lot were around $2 each, the second lot around $6. For some reason, fish prices skyrocketed about 6 months ago.

Harlequins seem to come and go from fish shops at the moment - you could try approaching a local store and see if they'll order them in for you.

You don;t want to get an adult bristlenose - they sell for up to $40 around here. Buy the juveniles, and watch then grow up. They get to 4 inches reasonably quickly.

Also - look around for local aquarium groups - they often have fish auctions where you can pick up fish for $1-2 each.

Did any of your cardinals die since you got them? I got a shoal of 10 and for some reason I only have 2 left now. I don't think cardinals settle in too well, but once they get past the first 2 weeks, they are pretty hardy.

Neons are much more value for money, as most places sell them for $1-$2 each.

I only ever saw an adult bristlenose once, and it was at a pet store, they were selling a pair (male/female) adult bristlenose for $85....at first, I thought it was very expensive, but in hindsight, it wasnt that bad as they were about 5". The juvenile bristlenose being sold here range from $10-$25, so paying $40 for an adult isnt that bad if a 1" juvenile will cost you $25.

How long do you think it takes for a juvenile to reach an adult size? I actually have 2 bristlenoses myself, have had them for 2 months now, they seem to have grown from 2.5cm to 3.5cm now - does that sound about right? They don't seem to have grown a lot.

Have your cardinals grown much? I hear they can reach about 6-7cm, at least I've seen some massive cardinals at the LFS display tanks.

Where can you find local aquarium groups? THere is a NSW cichlid society, but that is heavily focused on cichlids....there is none for general fish, or i cant find any...

apparently if you find breeders, you can get healthy fish for cheap prices, the trouble is, I dont know where to look for breeders!! As if the LFS will tell you!

Most reactions

Back