Aqua Clear 110 question

gwand

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I am building a 60 gallon tank. It was filled with water this morning. I started a sponge filter on one end of the 4 foot wide tank and an Aqua Clear 110 filter on the other end. Although the intake apparatus appears to be well positioned in the filter, I find the flow rate to be too strong. I have adjusted the flow rate as directed in the instructions, but it appears to make only minimal difference in the strength of the flow. Anybody with experience with these filters?

I am building a 60 gallon tank. It was filled with water this morning. I started a sponge filter on one end of the 4 foot wide tank and an Aqua Clear 110 filter on the other end. Although the intake apparatus appears to be well positioned in the filter, I find the flow rate to be too strong. I have adjusted the flow rate as directed in the instructions, but it appears to make only minimal difference in the strength of the flow. Anybody with experience with these filters?
It may be that you have too big an AquaClear or that you don’t have the media compartment packed tight enough . You could also put a sponge on the intake but AquaClears are very strong and that wouldn’t slow it down an awful lot .

No matter if if the filter is a bit too big, you can always tame to a purrrrr, using the cut out soda bottle hack. Depending of the shape and size you cut the bottle, you can attain various flows, or flow in specific direction. Plenty of photos online, some my own. Aquaclear filters are among the best, but this is applicable to alll HOB filters. The best is that the filter’s output is not changed, just how the water is delivered, so the hob can be at full blast or whaever you set it.

Why do you think the flow is too high?

I was just rescaping a four foot 75 gallon this morning. It has an Aquaclear 110, an Aquaclear 70 and a mid-sized Fluval canister. I always lean toward flow, especially for riverine fishes.

Why do you think the flow is too high?

I was just rescaping a four foot 75 gallon this morning. It has an Aquaclear 110, an Aquaclear 70 and a mid-sized Fluval canister. I always lean toward flow, especially for riverine fishes.
Thanks. That is good to know. I guess my flow in my other tanks is more subdued and that was what I was accustom to.

A thing I've learned with river Cichlids is that in many cases, a moving tank can be a peaceful one. They're a bit like dogs if you never walk them - the pent up energy has to go somewhere. I find when they get to swim against a more natural current, they burn off a lot of the energy that could come out as aggression. Plus it doesn't work too well when you take up an aggressive pose and get swept downstream before you can impress anyone.

Most reactions

Back