Anyone Ever Run A Sump Filter System On Freshwater?

There is no reason why a sump can't be used with a fresh water tank, (many fresh water fish keepers do that have the room below their tanks and are so inclined to use them). While there is loads more water in the system that would dilute pollutants and allow "overstocking" in that respect you still run the chances of overcrowding,

I don't think I will have an overcrowding issue in 210 gallons..ha ha.  Just some extra insurance incase I want to put a few extrasextras over the 210" of fish general rule maybe use my 30gal i have downstairs now as a sump with some filter media to give it some extra filtration.

Steve Adams said:
as the title says,  has anyone ever run a sump filter system on a freshwater tank?  you could effectively "overstock" your tank that way.  Because you are not really overstocking then.
Every tank has its responsible stocking limits, even large ones. For example, if you try stocking your 210 with two breeding pairs of Oscars in a bare tank there will be trouble ahead! ;)

All a typical sump is going to do is increase the volume of water that the resultant nitrates from feeding (protein) are going to be diluted in, plus you can hide heaters out of sight. Filters do not normally deal with nitrates, this is down to stocking; feeding regime; those weekly water changes.

After some more reading about it,  I will probably find a used 70ish gallon for my sump.  There are many many benefits to running a sump.  I think it will make my tank much better in the long run for health and clarity. 

Most reactions

Back