Anyone Else Own A Pandabai?

breezer40

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Cleaned out my Panda and Sterabai cory tank today and noticed a few small cories swimming about. Mainly little pandas and then I spotted this fella :unsure:

Yes he does look like a Panda
CIMG2514-1.jpg

But hang on this doesn't look right the markings on his sides and fins look like my sterabai :huh:

CIMG2520-1.jpg

OH NO is a Pandabai..cute though :wub:
CIMG2519-1.jpg

Answer is no I don't have those and I hope I won't.

Just out of curiousty how many adult Pandas and adult Sterbais in the tank. Also what are the sex of all the fish like. Like how many females and males of each species. Also what kind of water parameter do you keep them. I found Pandas and Sterbais prefer opposite temperature. Also they have some body size difference.

Answer is no I don't have those and I hope I won't.

No one is asking you to have one of these and NO I didn't set out to interbreed but just thought maybe someone might be interested as I have never witnessed it before. I am aware that Pandas can cross the species line and interbreed with a number of cories not just sterabai.

Just out of curiously how many adult Pandas and adult Sterbais in the tank. Also what are the sex of all the fish like. Like how many females and males of each species. Also what kind of water parameter do you keep them. I found Pandas and Sterbais prefer opposite temperature. Also they have some body size difference.

Having kept these species in my own tanks and having kept them while working in a LFS have never as yet found any problems with keeping them together. What temperature are you keeping yours at? I have always kept both of these at between 75-76 degrees including imported stocks.

As for the sex of the fish..both sexes are in there of both species and I have no intention of stripping the tank (Which is a fair sized) down to find out :/

OMG! I so want one! Seriously! my two favs in one!!! Can I buy/have one please please?

I wont breed them, he's just super super cute!!!!

No one is asking you to have one of these and NO I didn't set out to interbreed but just thought maybe someone might be interested as I have never witnessed it before. I am aware that Pandas can cross the species line and interbreed with a number of cories not just sterabai.

I am sorry I took your title of the thread as question but I assumed it was question since I saw the ? mark on the title of the thread. And I am not accusing you of creating the hybrid on purpose.

Having kept these species in my own tanks and having kept them while working in a LFS have never as yet found any problems with keeping them together. What temperature are you keeping yours at? I have always kept both of these at between 75-76 degrees including imported stocks.

I keep my Pandas at 68~72F unheated tank and they breed quite frequently about once in 4~5 days. And I keep my Sterbais in 82F and they too breed regularly every other day.

As for the sex of the fish..both sexes are in there of both species and I have no intention of stripping the tank (Which is a fair sized) down to find out :/

Like I said "just curiousity" I was wondered how many fish in the tank. You don't know that's cool. But I would be lying if I said I am not curious how many of the hybrid in your tank. And what you are going to do about them.

It was more a question of if anyone had seen the same cross over between the two species that I was interested in. No one really sets out to create a hybrid and although I was aware that Pandas can cross this line have never seen it in all the years of keeping them so I was obviously quite supprised to find this little fella.

Probally the reason why mine survived well together is my temperature in somewhere in between yours and within the acceptable range for both.

As far as how many hybrids are in the tank .. to date I have only seen this one and one of my daily jobs is to collect eggs from the tank and place in another tank for hatching. Very few fry manage to survive in the main tank as the adults more often than not clear up any laid eggs that I miss. As far as the future for this guy..he appears to be healthy so i have no intention of disposing of him but he will live out a very happy life away from the main breeding colony. There is always the chance that he may actually be sterile as many hybrids can be but as most of my stock is wild caught I do not wish to dilute the existing strains.

It was more a question of if anyone had seen the same cross over between the two species that I was interested in. No one really sets out to create a hybrid and although I was aware that Pandas can cross this line have never seen it in all the years of keeping them so I was obviously quite supprised to find this little fella.

Probally the reason why mine survived well together is my temperature in somewhere in between yours and within the acceptable range for both.

As far as how many hybrids are in the tank .. to date I have only seen this one and one of my daily jobs is to collect eggs from the tank and place in another tank for hatching. Very few fry manage to survive in the main tank as the adults more often than not clear up any laid eggs that I miss. As far as the future for this guy..he appears to be healthy so i have no intention of disposing of him but he will live out a very happy life away from the main breeding colony. There is always the chance that he may actually be sterile as many hybrids can be but as most of my stock is wild caught I do not wish to dilute the existing strains.

I'll adopt him and he can live with Wonkey and Lumpy in my "Pretty Fish" tank with my non-breeding but very loved odd fish :)

how's the little guy doing? any more pics :) Would be interested to see how he colours up :)

Most reactions

Back