Any idea what this is on my African 3 lined glass cat???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I just looked these guys over pretty good 2 days ago, and this wasn’t noticeable then, so is it a fast growing tumor, or a bister, or ???

IMG_6411.png
IMG_6412.png

Last edited:
They were exhibiting spawning like activity the other day, but there really isn’t anything sharp that I can think of, that they could have gotten bashed on, from their unusual activity

Hard to say for sure as a bit blurry, but looks possibly like a secondary fungal infection.

Some heavy tannins may help reduce it and let it heal on its own

Who bit them? That's my question.

I know it's a typo, but I want to see an African Glass Car. People who drive them shouldn't throw stones.

Lots of tannins in that tank, along with water flow, & the fishes activity level makes picture taking challenging in that tank... nothing in that tank, that "bites"

Mrs. Picture not much better
IMG_2605.jpeg

No video… maybe looks a little smaller, and looks more like a blister tonight… no changes to the fishes actions
IMG_6416.png

Those are 2 of the 3 blue diamonds just above the effected fish… filaments on the dorsal of at least one… thought still not mature

Not sure if these guys have the typical spines in their fins… if so, maybe this one got poked, during the extra activity of what looked like spawning, the other day???

This morning
IMG_6419.png

That kind of bump is hard for me to classify. We're pretty good on naming the issues South American fish have, but I have seen some weird ones on African fish. Since they are nowhere near as popular, we are in the dark about them.
It's probably a bacterial or fungal infection. How vague can I get?
Where it is suggests a bite wound, or a spiking if they were fighting. With good luck, it'll burst and the fish will be fine. With bad luck, it'll spread in a crowded tank. It's hard to guess what it is. Maybe if we could see its texture, we could make a better guess.

Look up columnaris, flexibacter and saprolegia, to see if the images correspond. Don't stop at the first image, as they can take several forms.

Looks most like a blister taken tonight, and from the other side of the tank
IMG_6428.png

Blister looks like it’s going down
IMG_6435.png

Is it bumpy like cauliflower? Fuzzy? Is it a bit pink maybe? Hard tell. Maybe just an injury.

I would just change more water, more often for now. It looks like it could be healing. Clean water can work miracles for some things including wounds. But think about needing an antibiotic if it gets worse.

Most reactions

Back