Any Good Tips On Keeping Driftwood Submerged?

crabbylion

Reaction score
Hello and good morning. I acquired this piece of driftwood and would like some of your suggestions on keeping this submerged. I was thinking putting an 1/8 in drill bit to it and getting some fishing line. Still unsure about the weight. The ones with the slate attached to the wood were at least three times the price. I also remember reading that when it comes to driftwood you have to get a piece you like, and I like this one. I want to creat a cavern effect in our 29g. I plan on adding some clay pots to the scene. I already have several live plants. I like this as the centerpiece. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Driftwood

Hello and good morning. I acquired this piece of driftwood and would like some of your suggestions on keeping this submerged. I was thinking putting an 1/8 in drill bit to it and getting some fishing line. Still unsure about the weight. The ones with the slate attached to the wood were at least three times the price. I also remember reading that when it comes to driftwood you have to get a piece you like, and I like this one. I want to creat a cavern effect in our 29g. I plan on adding some clay pots to the scene. I already have several live plants. I like this as the centerpiece. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Driftwood
aquarium silicone some rocks to the bottom of it or leave it to soak in tank water for a few hhours

i might be wrong but it looks like Mopani wood, and it should submerse itself. Is it floating @ 3 pounds?

agree - it looks like mopani and as such it shouldnt float as its very heavy wood. Soak it for a bit in warm water with regular changes to get most of tannins out and allow it to soak as much water as possible.

When I get a piece of wood that won't sink on its own, I am not at all patient. Instead I find a nice piece of slate, such as you can buy as flooring at the local home improvement center, and drill through the slate into the wood with a carbide bit. Then I put a stainless steel screw through the hole right into the wood. That keeps the stuff in place, at any angle that I want, and I can just bury the slate flooring tile under the substrate and out of sight. A full tile is less than $4 at today's prices and I find that I really don't need a full tile in most cases.

When I get a piece of wood that won't sink on its own, I am not at all patient. Instead I find a nice piece of slate, such as you can buy as flooring at the local home improvement center, and drill through the slate into the wood with a carbide bit. Then I put a stainless steel screw through the hole right into the wood. That keeps the stuff in place, at any angle that I want, and I can just bury the slate flooring tile under the substrate and out of sight. A full tile is less than $4 at today's prices and I find that I really don't need a full tile in most cases.

Thanks OldMan47 I think i'll be making a trip to the local hardware store today. Carbide bit, huh. NO problem! I'm not patient either. It seems as if it will never sink!

Driftwood
aquarium silicone some rocks to the bottom of it or leave it to soak in tank water for a few hhours

Not a bad idea about the silicone, either!

Just watch when using screws not to use anything other than stainless steel. Esp. if you have invertebraes in your tank as they are very sensitive to traces of metal.
Good luck with the new design!
:good:

This guy at Petsmart told me that it'll eventually become waterlogged and then sink. Is this true?

I have 2 large pieces of driftwood that have been soaking all day and no signs of sinking at all...

Apparently it can take even weeks depending on the type. I wish I had of bought some slate when I was at the hardware store but now it's closed! :X

Most reactions

Back