Anubias plant with dark spots, is it dying or algae?!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenny32

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple of Anubias plants and they have started to show some dark patches on a few leaves. I am not sure what it is and if I should do something about it. I have no co2 injection and use recommended amount of Flourish once a week.

There is also a dead leaf that I just noticed.

I have attached a photo.

Thanks
20210811_142607.jpg

Hi,
I have a couple of Anubias plants and they have started to show some dark patches on a few leaves. I am not sure what it is and if I should do something about it. I have no co2 injection and use recommended amount of Flourish once a week.

I have attached a photo.

ThanksView attachment 141341
Looks like the algae I have on mine, though mine is only on the edges of the leaves. You could try wiping it with you fingers... if algae it would come off easily.

Sorry hijack the thread but I was literally just about to post about this, I'm asking is my anubias dying or is there any way to revive it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210811_203439.jpg
    IMG_20210811_203439.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 143
Sorry hijack the thread but I was literally just about to post about this, I'm asking is my anubias dying or is there any way to revive it.
that's a java fern i think, or another fern, did you change its habitat recently or bury its roots in substrate?
what are your fertilisers?

Hi,

I have attached a photo.

Looks like the algae I have on mine, though mine is only on the edges of the leaves. You could try wiping it with you fingers... if algae it would come off easily.
yeah i use a paper towel, if too much pressure is put on with my hands i might rip the leaf(im very very clumsy)

Just wipe it between your fingers, if it comes off then awesome...if not, then just remove the leaf, easiest way is just to push down on itself at the stem and it will come away

that's a java fern i think, or another fern, did you change its habitat recently or bury its roots in substrate?
what are your fertilisers?
Sorry my bad I'm not great with plant names, it's attached to my driftwood and been there since I got it. I use microbe life plants green Fertiliser and iron fertiliser, but run out of green so I'm using seachem flourish .

Looks like some BBA on it (my Windelov Java Fern gets this -- seems connected with the filter that blows over it, and the outer twisty bits get the BBA).

I took a chance and tried the bleach method -- a solution of one part bleach to 19 parts water, dipped the plant in it for 30 seconds, then gave it a good rinse and put back in the aquarium.

Looks like new now! Fish are ok. I have a large Anubias tied to the Windelov, and keep them in a cranny of some wood in the tank. The Anubias came out shiny clean too!

Sorry my bad I'm not great with plant names, it's attached to my driftwood and been there since I got it. I use microbe life plants green Fertiliser and iron fertiliser, but run out of green so I'm using seachem flourish .
did it start melting after flourish? i reccomend you post it on a new thread because this is a whole different plant and different problem, i dont really wanna hijack this thread

Your Java Fern looks like it's dying. It's normal for them to have fair amount of black spots, some black on edges and around veins. But yours look like it's dying.

Are those leaves grown in your tank or it's fairly new addition to the tank?

If you have new leaf growth that looks healthy: it will probably be ok once old leaves die off. They tend to do that if lighting and water chemistry is very different.

p.s. Java Fern doesn't like very high intensity light and generally doesn't require any fertilizer dozing unless you have other plants.
If only Java Fern/Anubias: you're just feeding algae.

Hi,

I have attached a photo.

Use your fingers to wipe off the spots. (don't worry, Anubias leaves are pretty tough)

If the spots come off easily: It's probably some diatom or other algae. Nothing to worry about.

If the spots remain, turn yellowish and then into pinholes in the leaf:
you probably have potassium deficiency.

P.S. If all you have in your tank is Anubias and Java Fern: you don't usually need to feed them fertilizers. They get all the nitrates, etc from fish and fish food usually.

Most reactions

Back