Anubias Barteri Var Nana

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have 3 anubias plants in my cold water tank, no fertilizers, low light etc. Basically it’s doing really well growing well and one of them is almost constantly flowering….

I also have 3 in a heated tank (about 25 celsius), I’ve recently started adding Tropica Plant nutrition at the dose it recommends, I’ve also got liquid carbon as well. Again it’s fairly low light. However it doesn’t seem to be doing so well in there, a few leaves are dying off, it’s getting yellow patches on the leaves…what can I do to get it growing all nicely again (Its attached to bog wood) and it’s been in there months?

If you don't need the ferts to fix any other problems then I would stop dosing and keep things simple.
There is probably some melt off due to the liquid carbon as the plant has to adapt to new levels.

Thanks, Aaron

I have a nana in a tank even warmer than that and it's getting a full liquid carbon dose daily, plus N,P,K,trace,iron trace, all in very tiny daily amounts and it's doing just fine. It only gets 1.07w/g fluorescent for about 4 hours per day. The water is quite soft and acid if that matters to you at all. Water changes are usually 50% weekly.

I have a crypt wendtii red/brown that is not terribly happy though (no bad symptoms, just never grows much) and my latest thinking is that it thinks it's winter and is always dormant with the 4 hours instead of at least 8.

~~waterdrop~~

ahh right, ok.
I suggest you increase the dose of the TPN to 1ml per 20l, and dose 3x per week then.
You can keep the liquid carbon the same, or if it has different doses for different lighting levels/ tank with lots of plants then dose to the maximum it will let you.

It must be a nutrient defficiency. The reason it won't be doing as well as your coldwater tank species is because the rate of photosynthesis increases in warmer temperatures.

Thanks, Aaron

Most reactions

Back