another platy breeding question

Kittycat

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I got two new platies, unlabelled at the store, but from pics on the net, I'm assuming the female is a sunburst wag and the male a red wag. Anyway, these two are in the quarantine tank together. What I'm wondering is, if they breed, will the babies come out OK? I mean, I know crossing diff. types would produce half-baked platies (e.g. crosses between sunset and blues are pretty apparent), but I was wondering a breeding between these two would be as messed up, or do you think the babies will be passably either of the varieties of the parents, since the two colors are pretty near each other?

Wag7.jpg

:S Yea I was wandering this too, I have several types of platys and was trying to figure the whole breeding thing out and what happens when the blue platys and a sunburst platy mate? I wan't to get some blue platys but if the outcome is messed up I'll rethink that ...........:S

It will be fine crossing them as the sunburst and red wag platys are just a color variation and not a separate type/species of platy, the offspring will look like the parents but a more in the middle orange color of the 2.
The two types of platys you don't realy want to breed are high fin platys with other types like mickey mouse ones- there isn't anything bad about this in particular but the frys top fins will be neither high fin nor normal length which many people do not find very desirable...The fry will not lose out themselves in this either way but its more a matter of what type of looks you are aiming for.

Breeding platys and swordtails for example are a different matter all together because they are a completly different variation/species of the same family group.

Platys and platys are fine :nod:

it'll be fine lol its not like the fry will become large mutated ailens or something =] its just like breeding black mollies with white mollies u still get mollies just a diff colouration

sunniesunn, I hope I don't offend anyone, but I've seen obvious mixes of orange and blue types of platies, and I really don't like the result (blue body with yellow cast). They looked neither here or there. Most of my blue platies have yellow/orange dorsals, and I'm trying to breed that out. I was thinking that maybe mixing these two wags won't be as bad, since the colors are pretty near/alike (unlike blue and orange).

As for hifins, I didn't know that. I read an article about hifin variatus, and the writer said that hifins x regular would produce 50% each, and that 25% of hifin X hifin babies are reabsorbed in the mother's body.

I am partial to all kinds of platy colours. ATM I have 2 males....one is white with a few black dots near the tail and the other is black with a small orange patch on his belly. I have lots of variations in my girls....gold wag, red wag swordy, white, sunset twinbar, red twinbar, plain sunset, plain red......I can't wait till they start having fry so I can see what I will get.

Kittycat said:
sunniesunn, I hope I don't offend anyone, but I've seen obvious mixes of orange and blue types of platies, and I really don't like the result (blue body with yellow cast). They looked neither here or there. Most of my blue platies have yellow/orange dorsals, and I'm trying to breed that out. I was thinking that maybe mixing these two wags won't be as bad, since the colors are pretty near/alike (unlike blue and orange).

As for hifins, I didn't know that. I read an article about hifin variatus, and the writer said that hifins x regular would produce 50% each, and that 25% of hifin X hifin babies are reabsorbed in the mother's body.
Yeah i have a couple of high fin platys- 2 of the females i believe are half highfins but i have a male who has a HUGE high fin so im gonna try and breed some better high fins with him :)

Personally though i quite like alot of platys which have mixed colors in them; i have a white female with red flecks on her back and i have some pale brown platys with a realy srong green metallic sheen on their scales and i have some nice yellow and black platys too :thumbs:

I think it's the metallic sheen I'm not much into. The orange and blue crosses have metallic sheen of the other color. I love the platy varieties, I like the ones with black flecks on their bodies, calicos, and the like. But I'd rather keep the babies one variety or the other, not something in between. (though with crossing guppies I had enjoyed not knowing what i was gonna get)

Just curious, what about hifin x sailfin?

Never seen a sailfin platy- would have thought it was the same as a highfin.

One method you could try in getting the orange out of the blue platys is buy some grey ones; alot of the grey platys either have a green or blue metallic sheen on their scales which comes out alot when you cross breed them with other colors...You will probably end up with platys that are still blue but have more of a blue sheen on their scales than an orange one- plus it would be a good way to add some good new blood/genes to your blue platy gene pool :nod: .

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep an eye out for the grays, haven't seen any yet.

The hifins I usually see have sort of triangular dorsals, with sharp edges, like this:

jsw_pict2642.jpg

What I call sailfil (don't really know what they are) are the rounded ones like this:

Malehifinsunsetbest.jpg

Nice platy- very gorgeous :cool:

I don't think i've ever seen a platy like that before- my highfins have a similar top fin except its alot more pointed at the top. Is that platy yours? he's lovely :*)

Yep. Thanks! :) I got him for a hifin plumetail girl (the one in the pic died the day after I got her), but they don't seem to be making babies yet, hahaha!

Hey ok I bought 2 blue mickey mouse platys the other day and they kinda look grey until they hit the light in a certain way then they look blue so does anyone have pics of a real blue platy I really would like to get some................ :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back