Another Fish?

ES1988

Reaction score
I'm a semi-new aquarium keeper and I currently have a 75 gallon freshwater tank. Only fish in it are a Pleco (about 14 inches) and 4 Silver dollars(3 about 4-5 inches, one about 2 1/2 inches). I would like to add a new tank mate; thinking along the lines on an African Butterfly fish. I have a bottom dweller, 4 middle dwellers and thats why I'd like a Surface/top dweller. Would I be overstocking my tank? And, would an African Butterfly fish cooperate with my seemingly quite calm fish? Thanks! ~eric

I don't think you'd be overstocking. Unless you have the bare minimum of filtration, as plecos generate a lot of waste.

Just my personal opinion though.

I don't know about compatabilty either

Sorry I can't be more helpful

Ahh yes, the filtration. Its a Fluval 405 powered canister filter. Rated for tanks up to 100 gallons, mine which is 75 gallons.

You actually have a lot more room in your tank than you think.

I would add a couple more silver dollars. I don't know how nippy they may be, but african butterfly fish are really easy to pick on, since they aren't as active and they have the long fins. Another problem may be that there is too much water current in the tank, which the butterflies do not like.

The butterflies are very passive, only becoming a problem when there is a smaller tank mate, so I wouldn't worry about that.

they should be fine but keep the tank covered because the butterflyfish jump. Also keep an eye on the silver dollars because they might try and taste the butterfly's fins. They probably won't but they might.
Have some floating plastic plants in the tank for it to hide under and away you go. If it is ok for the first week and no-one bothers it get a partner for it. To tell the difference between males and females look at the anal fin. One has a concave anal fin and the other has a normal looking fin. Can't remember which, sorry but it's been a long time since I had them.

Whoa, thanks alot. That helps alot. Awesome, thanks again.

You could have three. Sounds like an ideal tank mate for what you already have. Just don't ever consider adding any small surface dwellers – they really do love live food (and all not that small, either..!)

Most reactions

Back