Another Case Of Awful Betta Fin Wrot

guppy fan

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When I fed my betta, Pahoran, last nite he looked fine and ate well. I just looked at him a few minuts ago and it literaly looks like someone has put his fins through a paper shredder! He is acting normal. Infact he is making a bubble nest at the moment. He's not discolored or anything. I've had algi problems in his tank ever since I got him about a year ago. He is in a five gallon tank by himself.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
I think I'm gonna do a water change right now just to be safe. After that I'm going to add some Melafix. Anny help would be greatly apprietaited!

Are all his fins affected or just his caudal. If it's just his caudal it's possible he may be tail biting. Nothing you can really do to stop this but keeping the water very clean with regular changes and some melafix will help his fins heal and prevent any infection setting in.

If it is in fact fin rot then you'll need to treat with the appropriate meds. Myxazin is a good treatment to use if you can get some.

It is maily his tailfin. His others are only slightly affected. I've been watching him and haven't observed him tail biting. the membrain between his finrays is going first and a few of the ends of those rays are now falling off. Do you know if that is normaly how fin wrot manifests itself? I'm going to school out in the middle of no were, so I can't go buy any meds really. I gave him a dose of melfix, is that okay? Melfix says it treets fin rot. I also have Mardel, but I don't know if that will work for this. I have mracyn-two, but I've tryed it a few times before for dropsy and it didn't work.

Sounds very similar to how Tyson's rot started. Bits literally fell of until he's left with what he has now :( His rot kicked in as quickly and aggressively. He's hanging in there and we've got our fingers crossed for him. I'm treating him with Interpet no 8 at the mo but am going to get some Melafix.

Good luck with your boy. I'll be thinking of him.

Melafix can promote the healing of the fins but certainly wont cure the problem. It can be used along side Myxazin but you would really need to have the appropriate meds to treat him. Not sure about the meds you have because they are not available in the UK. I wouldn't base your experience of Maracyn 2 on treating drospy as if not caught early enough most fish will die anyway from this.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

I've just been treeting him with Melfix for the past couple of days. The damage to his tailfin stoped almost immidiatly. I just knowtised today that the infection has spread to his dorsal fin, and now it looks ripped up. How much does it cost to have meds shipped to you?

Don't know what the cost is in the USA but try ebay. You should be able to get the proper meds from there.

Just to let you all know my betta is fine now. He must just have a really good immune system, thank heavens. I never got to buying a med, so he was just on the Melfix. The part of his fins that fell off was quite curled from the bad water quality that Walmart had him in, so he actualy looks better that he did before the infection set in. Few, he had me worried.

Sounds very similar to how Tyson's rot started. Bits literally fell of until he's left with what he has now :( His rot kicked in as quickly and aggressively. He's hanging in there and we've got our fingers crossed for him. I'm treating him with Interpet no 8 at the mo but am going to get some Melafix.

Good luck with your boy. I'll be thinking of him.
Thankyou, I'm so sorry about Tyson, I read about him on your thred R.I.P.

Most reactions

Back