Angelfish With Red Eye

michellec

Reaction score
Hello All!

About five months ago I purchased a 15.6 gal tank and, after having cycled, proceeded to add new fish. Everything was going smoothly until about a month ago, when one of my angelfish got a red left eye. After having scoured the internet looking for answers to similar problems, the most likely reason turned up to be a bacterial infection, so I purchased some melafix and gave that a try. Three weeks and one bottle of melafix later, there has been no change in the condition of my angelfish's eye. I am wondering if the reason this happened in the first place, and maybe the reason why there was no improvement, is because my tank is overcrowded? I have 1 koi and 1 black angelfish, 9 neon tetras, 1 siamese algae eater, 1 albino pleco, and 1 albino catfish in my tank (the largest of all the fish being the algae eater and the koi angelfish). I have a biowheel filter and an airstone as well as many plants, 1 spaghetti rock, 1 log, and 1 small ornament in the tank.

The koi is much bigger than the black angelfish and I have had him much longer, he is the one with the red eye. None of the other fish are showing any symptoms whatsoever. Also I have noticed that the substrate in the bottom of my tank (extra fine white river gravel purchased at Pet City) has turned pretty much brown on the side of the tank opposite to the filter, and always seems to have waste on the bottom no matter how many times you try to clean the tank (which I do a partial water change on once a week). In addition, my koi is also relatively transparent in that you can pretty much see his insides through his body when he is on his right side. For whatever reason, it is harder to see through him on his left side. Anyway, I am not sure if it is just myself being paranoid, but when his right side is facing me it looks as though his skin is raw where his anal fin meets his body, however I can pretty much see the blood vessels up inside his body anyway, but they look more red than usual. Also, near his gills, it appears to be raw but when the light hits it it looks shiny/metallic. I think he may have always been like that though and I am just blowing things out of proportion because I am worried.

Anyhow, if anyone can offer some advise to what I should do or if I am doing something wrong (which I can pretty much wager I am since I am new at this) I would welcome the suggestions! I apologize in advance for the lengthy post! I just wanted to be thorough!

Cheers!

-Michelle

im suprised you gignt come up with what im about to tell you pn he intetrnet...... i have a breading pair of angels and my dad before me had breading angels. i learned that red eyes actually mean the angel is really healthy and is a sign of possible spawning. it means your angel is very happy!!although i should add, it would be good to have a bigger tank
angels should have at least a 25 gallon tank that is 18 inches high :thumbs: im also afraid to say it is a little over stocked. i have less fish than you tank in my 55 gallon(but im a bit extreme about water quality!!!!!!!!!!)

I figured it was overstocked! I'm looking at buying a new tank soon anyway ... thanks for your help!

no pro,
i hope your angels will maybe spawn someday!!

Very interesting post! Its hard to tell whether you are describing a Koi angel with very unusual genetic characteristics, leading to a very normal red eye on the the non-transparent side (as mentioned deep red in an angels eye is indeed a characteristic we see in very healthy mature angels) or whether instead you have an angel with some sort of bad infection of one eye with some bad pink around it or something. I think there should be further discussion to clear this up.

As a separate matter, it certainly sounds like you have the possibility that you are over-driving your filter capacity, or at the least perhaps need to fine tune your maintenance proceudres. But since you are clearly either already overstocked or will be overstocked with more growth of the fish, its a strong suspicion that you need to either re-home some fish (SAE in a 15g?) or be thinking about a larger filter, or both.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. welcome to TFF!

Most reactions

Back