Angel Fish 'eggs'????

Jodie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly, still having some strange problems in the tank!

We have:

5x Zebra Danios
3x Gouramis (1 male, 2 female)
2x Angel Fish
2x Candystripe loaches
3x Dwarf Rainbox Fish

Our rainbow fish keep dying for no apparent reason (we think a bacterial infection of some sort). The gasp at the top of the tank for a day or so, and then in the morning they are gone. :(

We think we may have dropsy :( :( because one of the female Gouramis looks as if she is going to explode, and has been that way for a few days.

We have put in some treatment for it, and so far none of the other fish have any signs.

I am due to put in the next course of treatment tonight, BUT...

Our 2 angel fish are acting very perculiar today! One of them keeps rubbing its underside on one specific leaf, and they have both become quite aggresive (chasing other fish away). They have also come out VERY strong in color. Thick black lines as apposed to the fairly faded ones they had when we got them (about a week ago).

I checked and under the leaf there appear to be 'eggs', so I assume they are tryiing to protect them??

So, 2 questions.....

1. Can I still put in the second course of treatment for the bacterial infections, and
2. Do I need to do anything with
a. The leaf with eggs on, and
b.The angel fish themselves?

Sorry for this novel....

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

The angels are protecting thier eggs. Are they any chance of moving the other fish until you see if they are going to hatch.. I wouldnt put any treatment in with the eggs. The angels picked a good time to spawn didnt they.

Need to no tank size in gallons,how many fish and which type, water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, are the gills red and inflamed, and flicing and rubbing on objects,any white salt like grains of salt on the fish, any yellow or gold dust on them, the bloated one what do you feed the fish, can it maintain it's balance in the water, are scales stickiing out like a pine cone, what does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet, try some shelled peas and daphnia.

Tank is 125l,the fish are as above. The bloated gourami has clear, very long poo and is almost floating on her side. We treated the water with an internal anti-bac and have been givinh daphnia. No other signs of illness on other fish (well I say that, our rainbows are dropping off, but very suddenly with little sign of illness), but our gourami is not improving. We don't have a second tank, so are really unsure what we can do. Do you think the angels have definately laid eggs?

What should we do

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 7.5

No white specs or goldust or pinecone effect. Normally feed flakes,but have been feding daphnia for last 3 days. Have also given shelled peas.

Don't like the sound of clear stringy white poo, is the fish anus red and inflamed, is the fish still eating.

Not the writer of this information below.

Swim Bladder Disorder

The Swim bladder is a gas-filled sac located inside the fish’s body cavity just above most of the other internal organs. This sac is what gives the fish buoyancy and controls equilibrium. The amount of gas in this sac changes as the fish rises and sinks in the water, enabling it to swim, hover and move in the water. Without the use of the Swim-bladder organ a fish is unable to control it's own movements.

Symptoms:

Fish with a swim bladder disorder appear to have an abnormal swimming pattern, usually with their tail end up. They also appear to have difficulty maintaining equilibrium. They may even float upside down or appear to be stuck at the surface of the water, being unable to swim down, or they may lie on the bottom, unable to rise. Fish with a swim bladder disorder will continue to try and feed, showing a normal appetite.

Cause:

The most common cause of swim bladder disorders is improper diet. An improper diet can lead to intestinal gas or intestinal blockages. Intestinal blockages can irritate the bowel, giving bacteria or other parasites an entry point where they can then cause damage to the swim bladder. Swim bladder disorders are most common in the larger, deep-bodied varieties of Goldfish. Fish also fed a lot of dried foods, especially pellets, are most susceptible. This condition is frequently observed in the later stages of Malawi Bloat, which is primarily due to an improper diet as well and intestinal irritation.

Treatment:

Because this disorder is due principally to an improper diet, a change in their feeding needs to be made. Dried foods with lots of protein should be kept to a minimum. Pellets and other dense foods should be soaked prior to feeding or completely eliminated from their diet. Foods with lots of fiber should be introduced, such as zucchini, squash, spinach, romaine lettuce, peas, and grated carrots. If you suspect that the fish is victim to a bacterial infection, treat the fish with a medicated food.

Anus does not look inflamed and her appitite has dropped.
Will the other fish try to eat the spawn? The Angels are being VERY protective, bordering aggresive? HELP!

Sounds like angel eggs to me. They spawn every 7 to 10 days on the average. You could med the whole tank, I would advise a quar tank. Any plastic bin that will hold 5 or more gallons can be used in a pinch, 10 gallon tanks go for under $10 dollars around here, with a sponge filter & cheap heater you are around the $20 range, it's something you should really consider.

Try some epsom salt for the bloat. It relieves constipation, as well as draws out fluid if it is dropsy, which is caused by a bacterial infection. I've used it along with a different meds for gram positive & gram negative infections, as well as with anti-parasitics. Start with 1 tsp. per 10 gallons, work your way up to 3 tsp. per 10 gallon over 3 days.

Unless you plan on getting anothe 200 gallons of tankspace, ignore the eggs, they will either fungus, a common problem with higher ph water, especially if it is hard, or the parents will eat them, as they are in a community tank. If you are worried about being overrun with tiny angels, pull the spawn, rinse the plant in the sink, & put it back in the tank. Once you do this they will be less aggressive until the next time they spawn.

Tolak

Most reactions

Back