Ammonia meter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Does anyone here use an ammonia meter? I am looking into it.
8357E3E7-17F8-4BA2-AF84-051F34807690.png

Never tried one. I've always used the liquid test. Sure would be handy for cycling, if it works.
That’s what I’m thinking. I am new to this hobby & a series of events led me to 4 acquire tanks fairly rapidly. Have two 10s, a 5 & a 40. Ordered a test tube rack & more test tubes today & then harked back to my years in a biology lab. We used meters often, not all these drops.

...We used meters often, not all these drops.
Ditto...and whilst these were expensive pieces of kit, they gave consistent and accurate results to a degree unachievable with drop tests. I looked at these and, unfortunately, there isn't one meter that would measure all of the parameters I'd want to measure, with me needing a meter each for pH, another for Ammonia, another for nitrates, etc. etc..
Such meters are complex pieces of scientific kit, intended for serious lab use and the price reflects this.
That said, the costs of those meters I've seen are much reduced from a decade ago and, as the hobby becomes more and more scientifically based, then perhaps the cost of good meters will continue to fall.

I shall see. Already have a pH meter. Think I paid $15. The hunt is on! I’d pay $50 for the NH3 meter if I’m convinced it works. As to others params, I haven’t searched yet. Do have a nice infrared thermometer. The first API kit cost $25 and the replacement drops don‘t grow on trees. The meters sound like more fun. If reasonably priced.

this one is getting unfavorable reviews. Their NH3 meter has good reviews.
8E46B189-BFA2-4321-8574-06A93B386D94.png

Their meters can be used in freshwater & salt, so far as I see now

I'd rather have a liquid test kit, to test all water params whenever I feel the need is necessary

Experienced fishkeepers shouldn't need a meter for ammonia only, but beginners or those who are cycling tanks need to test for more water param conditions than ammonia, anyway

A digital device for testing just ammonia seems a waste of $....IMO...when other (cheaper) tests are available

Hanna instruments have a number of $50 dolor meters. The alkalinity, phosphate, and ammonia meters work well, quick and easy to use. I have them and the iron meter. The iron test kit also is very good but you need hi purity distilled water. RO water is not good enough.
Their meters can be used in freshwater & salt, so far as I see now

Some test will work with salt or fresh water. but not all. Call hanna to confirm it is will work with salt or fresh water. verify the range is what you want The phosphate meter comes in 3 ranges high, low, ultra low. The one I linked to is 0-30ppm which is about right for fresh water. Theultra low range is better for salt water aquariums. Sadly most of the Checkers Hanna makes are not useful for fresh water aquariums due to measurement range limitations.

The nitrate meter is new. It is designed for salt water. I saw a review for it and is a complicated 3 step process to run the test and it takes considerable time. I would call Hanna first and ask if it will work with fresh water and how the test changes when using fresh water.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a liquid test kit, to test all water params whenever I feel the need is necessary

Experienced fishkeepers shouldn't need a meter for ammonia only, but beginners or those who are cycling tanks need to test for more water param conditions than ammonia, anyway

A digital device for testing just ammonia seems a waste of $....IMO...when other (cheaper) tests are available
Where is it written all params must be tested the same same way? I will likely be doing some with meters and some with solutions. I am a successful retail investor with lots of money to waste. 🤑🤑🤑

Where is it written all params must be tested the same same way? I will likely be doing some with meters and some with solutions. I am a successful retail investor with lots of money to waste. 🤑🤑🤑
Fair point.
I suspect that @Slaphppy7 is aware of the countless, more impoverished visitors to this Forum, who are limited enough in their intellect to simply read one or two posts and then rush out to spend on stuff they can't afford or understand, just because some forum 'told them to'. :rolleyes:

Ordered an ammonia meter last night. Hannah, manufacturer. $60, including a $10 shipping feel. They also make a nitrate, $40, meter, but bad reviews. Ppl saying it is complicated to use & drops are better. Most nitrate meters are very expensive. I have my eye on a used $200 one on eBay. Need to research more. Have the impression it too may be a hassle to use. idk, but will.

Ordered an ammonia meter last night. Hannah, manufacturer. $60, including a $10 shipping feel. They also make a nitrate, $40, meter, but bad reviews. Ppl saying it is complicated to use & drops are better. Most nitrate meters are very expensive. I have my eye on a used $200 one on eBay. Need to research more. Have the impression it too may be a hassle to use. idk, but will.
In your research, consider the pros and cons of actual 'need'.
I can see the value of a precise ammonia meter, especially if you're going to be setting up tanks in the future and if you have an interest in the biochemistry involved.
To the same extent, I can also see the value of a nitrite meter.
That said, given that a small amount of nitrate is a good thing for the tank and that there's a relatively wide 'healthy' range of acceptable nitrate levels, I'd personally see little point in forking out for a nitrate meter...especially when there's just so much more useful things to buy.

...And fish! :cool:

Most reactions

Back