Ammonia Illegal?

angelfishguy

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i looking for ammonia to cycle my tank but i found that alot of websites say its illegal to buy in the uk and ireland..
is this through??
if it is what should i do??
please help,
thanks a million
jay

many DIY shops sell it like homebase and B&Q as does boots the chemist -

I'll be looking for ammonia soon so hopefully it won't be too hard to find, but I live in Australia so I don't know about getting ammonia in the uk.

I think you need a permit to trade anhydrous ammonia which is pure ammonia and is used in the production of illegal drugs like methamphetamine (along with a whole host of legal things of course :lol: ), household ammonia is usually around 9.5% ammonia and 90.5% water and hence completely legal.

I think you need a permit to trade anhydrous ammonia which is pure ammonia and is used in the production of illegal drugs like methamphetamine (along with a whole host of legal things of course :lol: ), household ammonia is usually around 9.5% ammonia and 90.5% water and hence completely legal.

very very true, took the words out of my mouth ^^

I ordered from Boots online and had it delivered to my local store. They don't seem to stock it in store anymore. Something to do with Ammonia being classed dangerous or something

I ordered from Boots online and had it delivered to my local store. They don't seem to stock it in store anymore. Something to do with Ammonia being classed dangerous or something

It depends on the store, the local boots by me has it on the shelf

Drugs aren't the reason you cant buy it any more.... used in things that go bang....

Drugs aren't the reason you cant buy it any more.... used in things that go bang....

Well why do they still sell fertilisers then when they are very easy to manufacture into nitroglycerin which can then be stabilised to tnt

because they add stabilisers/inhibitors to it now... even amfo is harder to make apparently... not that I have played with such things since I left the army

also it is an important commercial product, you can still buy pure ammonia if you have the correct credentials..eg lab.

Most reactions

Back