Amazon Puffer

rob00120

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i want to get an amazon puffer or a dwarf puffer for my tank but will they be compatable with my other fish i have neons and mollys dwarf gourami guld nugit pleco
i no i will have to re home the neons and i want to rehome the mollys but will the others be ok

thank you for any help rob

if you go to the oddball forum, you will see puffer fish are the most talked about and theres a sticky at the top about them, short answer is no, puffers are spieces only and will nip and bite other fish.
i wanted some but luckily my mh told me the same so ive stayed away, sad but there you go.

riffraff

With the fish you already have, PUFFER+COMMUNITY TANK FISH= DEAD COMMUNITY FISH.

I've heard Amazons are very shy in comparison to other puffers, I've been tempted. But at the end of the day, it's still a puffer. It has the potential to demolish 4-5 fish per night and if it does, it won't stop.

If you do decide to get them, good luck! Because I know it's something I'd love to have in a community :)

There are at least three critical things to consider about SAPs...

They are unusually social for a puffer and do well in groups
They need a tank of decent length, that allows a good mix of a strong current along one long side, but areas with heavy furniture concentrationtrations to stop them "pacing" (getting bored, buzzing up and down the same bit of glass)
While less fiesty than the average puffer, tankmates need to be chosen with care. Very broadly speaking, anything with a true forked tail that is happy in the 22-26C ballpark, as these tend to all be zippy riverine fish

There are at least three critical things to consider about SAPs...

They are unusually social for a puffer and do well in groups
They need a tank of decent length, that allows a good mix of a strong current along one long side, but areas with heavy furniture concentrationtrations to stop them "pacing" (getting bored, buzzing up and down the same bit of glass)
While less fiesty than the average puffer, tankmates need to be chosen with care. Very broadly speaking, anything with a true forked tail that is happy in the 22-26C ballpark, as these tend to all be zippy riverine fish
+1

Also remember about their beaks and that they will need to be trimmed by you.

thankyou for all of your replys i have decided to get rid of most of my fish so i can get 2 amazon puffers
i have seen an amazon puffer in a tank with neons and guppys on youtube thanks for the help

thankyou for all of your replys i have decided to get rid of most of my fish so i can get 2 amazon puffers
i have seen an amazon puffer in a tank with neons and guppys on youtube thanks for the help
you should get a larger group than just 2 as they are social and from what ive experienced, the more the merrier!

Most reactions

Back