Amano shrimp harassing Betta during meal times

johnmichaels

Reaction score
I’m curious if anyone else has seen similar behavior? I have 7 Amano shrimp in a planted 10 gallon with a betta.
The betta tends to ignore them and is healthy from what I can tell.
The shrimp are all pretty active but I’ve noticed they can be kind of aggressive with each other. It’s often the smaller ones lunging at and quickly wrestling other shrimp. I’ve also noticed 1 or 2 of the smaller shrimp have started approaching and just about touching the betta before darting away.
It only seems to happen during meal times when I feed the fish, so I’m thinking they’re trying to grab his food? (He gets Bug Bites Betta flakes) I’m going to get them some shrimp pellets, to see if that solves the issue, but curious to know if anyone has experience with this behavior.

I’m curious if anyone else has seen similar behavior? I have 7 Amano shrimp in a planted 10 gallon with a betta.
The shrimp are all pretty active but I’ve noticed they can be kind of aggressive with each other. It’s often the smaller ones lunging at and quickly wrestling other shrimp. I’ve also noticed 1 or 2 of the smaller shrimp have started approaching and just about touching the betta before darting away.
It only seems to happen during meal times when I feed the fish, so I’m thinking they’re trying to grab his food? (He gets Bug Bites Betta flakes) I’m going to get them some shrimp pellets, to see if that solves the issue, but curious to know if anyone has experience with this behavior.

Never kept shrimp so my answer isn’t fantastic but basically what your already doing. Try getting a sinking shrimp pellet for the shrimp and feed the betta a slow sinking pellet/ flake. This way they both have their areas of the tank to feed in

I have opposite behavior, my betta seems to think the Amano shrimp are his meal and eat them, or nip at the bigger ones and then eat them 😆

Most reactions

Back