Am I overstocking or understocking?

BettuhFeish

Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon ecosystem planted tank. Ive read that understocking an ecosystem tank is the way to go.
The fish Im putting in the tank:
- 4 otocinclus
- 1 betta
- 3 pearl gouramis
- 20 rummynose tetras
- 6 cardinal tetras
Will the betta fish do ok with the pearl gouramis? Online it said they fight but some aquarium hobbyists have kept them together just fine. Are there any tips I can get on how to make them more friendly towards eachother?

Pearl gouramis are fairly peaceful, but a betta might be in trouble. Since he's much smaller & occupies the same area as the pearls, I'm not sure. It's not a combo I've tried. Lots of tall or floating plants might help to break up any territories. Which size is your 40g? A long or breeder shape? (3ft or 4?)

What are your gouramis genders? 1 male & 2 females or 3 females "may" be safer than more males. Keep an eye on them if you already have the betta. If you haven't bought the betta, think some more before you do. Those long fins can be too tempting for even peaceful fish.

Have a backup plan if things go haywire, they might...Good luck!

It doesn't sound overstocked, the only thing I would change is not adding the betta because of the gourami. If you want a betta and have space you could always set up a separate tank for one :D

What is the GH of your source water?
Can you explain what you mean by an ‘ecosystem tank’?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

-----------------

Cardinal tetras should be kept in groups of 10 or more, so if the water is suitable then get at least 10.

All labyrinths fishes (Bettas & gouramis) are territorial to some degree and it's preferred to only keep one species per tank to minimise aggression towards each other. Labyrinth fishes also like floating plants to hang out under and water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is one of the better plants for them.

I don't know if an Eco-System tank is a brand, or if it's a recycling of the old balanced aquarium myth, where a tiny body if water is supposed to be an ecosystem. If it's the latter, you are seriously overstocking. If you go with the no water changes, plants will solve everything set ups, a 40 will safely hold about 10 fish, if they are small and very hardy. Such tanks recreate swamps, and you'd need to rethink the entire stocking to reflect that.

I grew up as a serious aquarist, into the latest ideas during the natural/eco/balanced aquarium fad of the 1970s, and I learned a lot about what did and didn't work in that approach. I'm approaching this from 'been there, done that' experience.

But if it's a brand, ignore this.

Cardinal tetras should be kept in groups of 10 or more, so if the water is suitable then get at least 10.
Do they need warmer water than the other species mentioned or is there a reasonable crossover in their range?

Gouramis, rummynose and cardinal tetras are all fine in water around 26C. The Otocinclus would prefer it a little cooler (24C) but if you have it around 26C they should all be fine.

Most reactions

Back