Am I overstocked?

Ruthc1985

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd appreciate help here too with regards to overstocking....I have a 50 litre tank with a mish mash of fish as I have lost the odd one here and there over the years. In it I have....

1 zebra danio
1 leopard danio
1 other danio (can't remember variety)
3 cardinal tetra
1 corydora
1 bristle nose catfish
2 ghost shrimp (I think they are)
3 glass catfish

Looking at that list I think I am overstocked right?! Are any of those particularly big waste producers?

You are wrongly stocked. There are many shoaling fish and you need to decide on one that you want to keep, up their numbers and rehome the rest. The shoaling fish are: all danios, tetras, cory. Danios are fast swimming fish and need a bigger tank so you should better rehome them.

I suggest this stocking:

6-8 tetras
1 bn
Get one bigger centrepiece fish, such as a ram or dwarf cichlid.

Ok thanks, any tips on rehoming? I feel bad just taking them back to the aquatics centre! I feel as though I am abandoning the babies!

But in terms of numbers is it ok? Have been considering removing the (indestructible) danios for some time and I would like more tetra as I love the colour they bring to the tank

Ask here, there is a classified section. Otherwise local fishkeeping Facebook groups.

Bristlenoses are poop machines, so you need a good filter and a good cleaning regime to keep up with it, but tetras and a centrepiece fish would definitely be ok in that tank.

Good news, I found a home very quickly for the 3 danios, the guppy and the cory :)

That's great! Although where has the guppy come from? :unsure: Now up your shoal of tetras and then you can start thinking about a centrepiece fish. Anything you fancy already?

id recommend removing the glass catfish and adding a couple more cory cats, like are happier in a group then by themselves. you should have atleast 3 of them total of the same family. i wouldn't add anymore with that size tank.

You should really have more tetras and corydoras. They are schooling fish and do better in numbers. Personally I try not to keep any schooling fish under six unless I really have to.

The glass catfish are schooling fish too. Just felt mentioning.

In that size tank I'd have 6 to 8 small tetras or rasboras, a couple honey or licorice gouramis, and maybe some Cory catfish. Even dwarf cichlids would be better off in a bigger tank..

The bn plec needs something bigger too IMO. My guy is at 5 inches and wrecks my 75 gallon with his poo, even with filtration rated for up to 200 gallon tanks.

Hi :) I have increased the numbers of glass cat fish and tetras and both are schooling nicely now. The other "random" fish were rehomed to live with others of their own kind :) I also purchased a bigger tank :)

honey gourami is a nice fish for a small tank mine is 60l with 9 neons and 1 male honey

Most reactions

Back