Am i over stocked?

Crookster

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 35 imperial (42 US) gallon tank, I do 15 - 25% water changes weeekly and have an UGF with a power head and a fluval 304 filters.

My fish are
6 Discus
6 small striped barbs
2 Silver Dollars
3 Rams
2 Firemouth
5 Clown loaches
6 Cories
1 Small bristlenose
1 Small L number plec
1 Tiger Plec
1 Betta

Only the tiger plec (8-10 cm) and the dollars are anywhere near full grown.

I think might be over stocked, but the guy at my local fish shop said I wasn't and he normally talks sense. Everything he's told me so far has been right. He says he overstocks and overfilters to compenste.

I know the fish I have will grow but there looks to be loads of room in there.

Any help appreciated.

Yes, I think you are.

What is the "small L number plec"? That could mean one of hundreds.

6 Discus - usually given 10galls each, sensitive to bad water
6 small striped barbs - fine, I think
2 Silver Dollars - schooling, and get very large
3 Rams - not sure
2 Firemouth - fairly large, aggressive
5 Clown loaches - get to as much as 12"
6 Cories - fine
1 Small bristlenose - fine
1 Small L number plec - what does that mean?!
1 Tiger Plec - hmmm
1 Betta - hmmm

I think you have overcrowded the bottom of your tank with 5 clown loachs, 6 cories, 2 plecs and a bristlenose.

Also, UGFs are not known for being very good. What are your water parameters like?

filtering seems fine for a discus tank, (the fluval is) external plus UGF is what my LFS uses it its 12 discus tanks. His tanks have been photographed for PFK so should know a thing or two. I would remove all the fish apart from the plecs/cories. Arent you discus totally freaked having all those other fish in their tank. Do you have pictures of the tank, you can tell if a discus is happy from its colouration and stress bar patterns.

Your tank should hold approx. 64" of fish. Adult Discus alone may well grow beyond 6" each, thus 36" just for your Discus. Bearing in mind you have 28 other fish, most of which will grow to a minimum of 3" (28x3=84"). 36"+84" equals overstocked!!!!

As a side, are your Discus happy? I've never heard of them thriving in a community tank, who knows, you may have ultra cool Discus!!

I'd agree with all of the above...

More details need on the L number of the plec... some L numbers get to over 24"... some just 4... any idea what type it is?

:blink: i have less fish in my 100gal than u have in yours :blink:

7 clown loach(2-7")
1 L pl*c arabesque(queen) 2"
1 commom pl*c(6")
1 convict(3")
1 flowerhorn (2")
2 angels (2")
1 caecillian worm(20")
1 talking cat(3")

and i think that mine is overcrowded

Same for me....i have less in my 55 gallon and think its overcrowded. do you have any plans for an upgrade in the near future?

Nina7777 said:
Same for me....i have less in my 55 gallon and think its overcrowded. do you have any plans for an upgrade in the near future?
i have 4 tanks 2 set up the 100 gal and( 230 gal with a tyretrackeel ( 3ft) and two red devils (12")

a quarintine tank 45gal with a sick orangefinned loach in

and a new tank cycling but needs a hood 80gal this is going to hold my clown loach
thanks 4 asking

I've been trying to talk the girlfriend in to letting me get another tank all night. Either a trigon corner tank or a bow fronted one.

As for the water I test at least twice a week\and thay are normally zero with nitrates between 5-10.

Thanks for all the feed back. I'm thinking of taking the dollars back to the shop. :no:

put you down as a dont know then ??????? :/

am i overstocked well yes me lad go get out this weekend and buy a new tank you no you want to and you may also need to rehome some of your larger fish still hope everythingkeeps going ok for you :p

Crookster said:
I've been trying to talk the girlfriend in to letting me get another tank all night. Either a trigon corner tank or a bow
the trigon tank are cool however fish dont grow large in them they have lots of water but not enough room if you know what i mean!

(if you have had one you will know what im saying!)

Most reactions

Back