Aluminum foil DIY Light reflector?

Platinumpete

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I want to do a do it yourself reflector for my 10 gallon tank. My question is are Aluminum foil (the ones for ovens and baking) effective material to use? I heard it isn't but this website recommends it.

http://web.telia.com/~u86438141/art...ng_lighting.htm

Reflective Materials
Polished metals make the best specular materials, silver is the most reflective but is not suitable for aquarium use due to its tendency to corrode. Aluminum is probably the best choice and very good specular reflectors can be made using very fine grit sand papers and Tripoli polishing compounds and buffing wheels. Aluminum foil with a minimum of wrinkles and aluminized mylar are also good choices. Mirrored glass is often cited but not a great choice because it uses silver (corrodes) and glass (refracts light and is heavy and brittle) Waterproof flat white paint makes a very good reflective surface for divergent reflectors. It needs to be refreshed every few years due to yellowing from UV radiation.

Simply painting the inside of the hood white will help. Anything that is more reflective then what you have at present will be better then nothing. When new, Aluminium foil is a good reflector. It does need to be kept clean, and after a while it dulls. When that happens, it can, of course, be replaced as it is virtually free.

Mylar film is better. It is more reflective, and although it need to be kept clean of course, it does not dull.

Link doesn't work. Looks like it has been truncated to fit something, note the ... in the middle.

Referring to the text that you quote, most mirrors on professional astronomical telescopes, (where reflecting the maximum amount of light is most important), are coated with Aluminium these days, not Silver.

Mylar degrades pretty quickly. I have paper-backed foil in my hood now and it has lasted 3 times as long as the mylar, but it is ready to be replaced now after 6 years. Whole hood needs and overhaul anyway.

with foil, just make sure your not near the connection parts, for obvious reasons, however foil and/or white should reflect well

Mirror would be best.... any good with a glass cutter ? (or superstitious ? lol)

Commercial reflectors are aluminium, so foil would be the SAME.... but maybe hard to clean due to the thickness.

Some newer tube have reflectors built in, so the need for added reflectors is reduced...

..if only we could find an acrylic mirror.... thin enough to bend if possible ! :good:

Well.... not really the same are they? Same material, yes, but perhaps not the same reflective properties, which is the point I was trying to make in the thread I pointed to above.

Andy

Well.... not really the same are they? Same material, yes, but perhaps not the same reflective properties, which is the point I was trying to make in the thread I pointed to above.

Andy

So.. what CAN be different ? its polished ally !!!!!! :blush:

^ Yes, by the glass.

OK next time I'll try shaving in front of a piece of ally foil next time: mirrors, what's the point ay? :blush: Hey they both polished alley after all.

In fact, what's the point in getting a piece of bent polished alley from the fish shop for £5?

Just get a mirror :blink: Cut it to shape (and your fingers) :blink: grind the sharp edges off :blink: Attach the thing to your lid (somehow) :blink: And spend MORE doing it :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

erm... nah, I'll stick to spending a fiver at the LFS ta. :rolleyes:

Andy

^ Yes, by the glass.

OK next time I'll try shaving in front of a piece of ally foil next time: mirrors, what's the point ay? :blush: Hey they both polished alley after all.

In fact, what's the point in getting a piece of bent polished alley from the fish shop for £5?

Just get a mirror :blink: Cut it to shape (and your fingers) :blink: grind the sharp edges off :blink: Attach the thing to your lid (somehow) :blink: And spend MORE doing it :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

erm... nah, I'll stick to spending a fiver at the LFS ta. :rolleyes:

Andy

Well said !!! haha :lol:

Most reactions

Back