All The Fry Born Dead Or Deformed Why

shelaghfishface

the one and only
Reaction score
i went to collect the blue platys i have been trying to get for ages today, and while i was there i saw some jumbo platys, so i got three girls, when i took the plastice bag out of the paper bag when i got home they where having babies,so i transfered them into a breeding trap, left them alone for an hour then notice about 50 fry altogether, and some blobs with eyes,i soon realised all the fry but 2 were dead or badley deformed, i cant tell you how gutted i am, why is this???

on a happier note, the blue platys are beautiful and currently i have 2 in a net and 1 is giving birth ,up to about 15 so far! ( lots of plants in there)
they didnt look pregnant in the lfs tank lol, so its cheered me up a bit, but i cant understand whats happend,i got 8 females and 4 males and most of the females look pregnant after a close look,1 has started to give birth in the main tank, but i cant see which one so i have added lots of plants for them to hide in,and crossed my fingers

are the death`s due to in-breeding i know it happens, the ball shaped blobs with eye,whats that all about???? i have never heard or read about that before

from a gutted shelagh :(:(

It could be they were giving birth prematurely due to the stress of being moved. :sad:

well just to let you know that the blue platy had 63 babies but lost 2, and im keeping a close eye on the mums that aborted :)

Woo hoo! Great news after such a cacky day. Well done platy mum!! :good:

Love to all the little baby plats :wub:

Congrats! I had something similar with some gorgeous little dwarf platties I bought last month. I sadly lost one of them to stress too. Still, the remaining 3 are doing great and are active. Just wish they would produce more babies :)

well just to let you know that the blue platy had 63 babies but lost 2, and im keeping a close eye on the mums that aborted :)
Guess you wont need any of mine after all then lol! :lol:

oh dont temp me cos i would lol :drool:
i now have another 2 in the net ready to drop any minute, just rushed out to buy new nets,im am going to be inundated, :hyper:
and to let you know, 4 survived the mum that aboorted, i saw there little eys in the fry tank!!! so im chuffed,think i will try to net them and keep them safe cos the other fry are about an inch now and they will start tucking in lol :unsure:

congratulations dev, if you re-read this, is liquifry supposed to dissovle on contact with the water?? its just that i tried them with it and but icant see how they would get to eat it, i would prefer they had this so dont want to get them used to having flakes without a good go, but obviously on the other hand dont want them to go hungry either :rolleyes:

Personaly I wouldent bother with liquifry no1 for livebearers it is really only used for fish that have just hatched from eggs. Liquifry no2 and no3 are the best for livebearer fry.

Most reactions

Back