All My Guppie Fry Female?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lefty07603

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, i had a guppie give birth and the four survivors are female, all of those gave birth and i have about 25 fry/juvies left. I look and they all seem to have an analfin. I saw one that i thought may have a chance to be male, is this even possible? Is there any other stories like this and is there any cause of this? Thanks guys!

how old are your fry? they may be to young to sex they all look the same when young

It is possible that the fry are just too young yet accurately sex, but I have heard of pH affecting the outcome of fry sex. I don't know if water temp could also have some relavence too. I know from my own experience I tend to get more females born in summer and into Autumn and males in spring. This could be a survival strategy because I have also discovered with my own tanks that males are the first to die if the water is too cold for too long, while the larger females will still feel the cold they tend to survive and be able to drop their fry once the water is back to their preferred temp range.

They are probably just to young, with platys they all start with anal fins and then some develop into boys. i had one fry who i was convinced he was a girl he was  about 6 months old, i looked one day and he was a boy. he was the only one in the fry tank so who knows.

The above is correct, I had a rarer livebearer fry at one point that didn't develop its gonopodium until it was about a year old.

That is certainly true I forgot I have had the odd male remain incognito for over 12months, before suddenly deciding that it really was a male.

Most reactions

Back