all girls?

marjst

Reaction score
I have lots of babies (newbees to 4 mo) from my mollies and swordtails. At this point I don't even know how many. The thing is, they all look like like females! Is that possible? Some almost look big enough to breed. Someone said temperature has something to do with it.
After losing the first batch, I started moving the fry to a 5 gal. Last month I set up a 10 gal for the larger fry. Just lately I lost my 2 male high fins.

20 gallon
1 female Silver high fin mollie
2 female gold mollies
1 female black mollie
1 male swordtail
2 female swordtails
2 panda cories
2 ghost shrimp

10 gallon
1 female high fin mollie
2 emerald green cories
2 ghost shrimp

Yes, it is possible, although it may be too young to tell. Some of these "females" may actually turn into males. And the pH of the water (whether it is acidic or alkaline) may have some effect on the number of female/ male fry. :)

At least for the platies, you (or at least I) can tell the sex when they are barely over 1/2 inch in size. I do get much more females than males in a typical batch, but I read some articles that proves that pH does determine this ratio. I _think_ higher Ph means higher percentage of male, but I'm not sure anymore.

my platy havent showed their sex yet and they are over 2 months old. guppy's show before the molly ad swordtails.

fishrock said:
my platy havent showed their sex yet and they are over 2 months old. guppy's show before the molly ad swordtails.
Are you sure? The most obvious giveaway is the rear fin on the underside of the platy - narrow & pointed means male, triangluar means female. I can see them in most of my 2 months old fries...

I have 13 fry in a 5 gal, born between jan and feb. they all have the triangular fin. I look every time i feed them. I would think that they would have changed sex if they were going to. Could they still be changing after 5 or 6 months?

Most reactions

Back