Algea Eaters

Corydoras cats are fairly small all their lives, no bigger than like 1-2 inches i think and they will eat the particles of food that drop in between the gravel, cant say 100% or not whether they will eat algae exclusively. :unsure:

There are prolly some who are smaller yet tho, nature is a mysterious and wonderful thing!

Zen

Corydoras cats are fairly small all their lives, no bigger than like 1-2 inches i think and they will eat the particles of food that drop in between the gravel, cant say 100% or not whether they will eat algae exclusively. :unsure:

There are prolly some who are smaller yet tho, nature is a mysterious and wonderful thing!

Zen

Cories don't eat algae :huh: Generally otos are the smallest, but they're sensitive and need to be in groups. Of course, there's always the best option of an algae scraper...

Generally otos are the smallest, but they're sensitive and need to be in groups. Of course, there's always the best option of an algae scraper...

I was thinking of getting one for a small 7 gallon ViaAqua tank that has my glaxy rasboras in it. It's awkward to scrape as it's got so much java moss and the round corners tend to be missed.

A bristlenose might be a bit big. Would a single oto be a terrible idea? I won't get one if it will be constantly stressed by being alone.

Otos prefer to be in groups. Before you decide on the type algae eater you want, you need to figure out what type algae you have. Different fish and shrimp wat different types of algae. And if it's the dreaded blue-green algae (cyanobcteria), nothing will eat it. Here is asite with photos fir ID purposes.

Also, you should try to figure out what is causing the algae and fix the problem. If you do decide you want an algae eater, you may also want to consider algae eating shrimp. They don't add much at all to the bio-load and will eat most types. I have amano shrimp in my 29 gallon tank but I don't think I've ever seen them eating algae from the glass.

Shrimp make excelent algae eaters as they are small and add very little to the bio-load. I have 5 amano shrimp in my 29 gallon tank. I've had them for close to 2 years.

Thanks everyone.
The algea in my tank is brown.
I've tried varying the length of time that the light is on and that doesn't seem to work.

:fish:
Thanks Will

oh diatom algee ottos love that so do snails this algee wont be effected by turning lights off in the middle of the day

Is your tank relatively new? Brown algae is quite common in new tanks. Otos do clean it up pretty well. If it is part of the new tank syndrome, it will most likely clear up on it's own.

Otos prefer to be in groups. Before you decide on the type algae eater you want, you need to figure out what type algae you have.

If you do decide you want an algae eater, you may also want to consider algae eating shrimp.

Thanks for the link you posted. I have tufts of brush algae appearing for no reason I can establish. I've about 150 baby cherry shrimp in the tank next to it so I'll chuck in a few and see how that works. :)

Is your tank relatively new? Brown algae is quite common in new tanks. Otos do clean it up pretty well. If it is part of the new tank syndrome, it will most likely clear up on it's own.

Yes that's right. My tank was set up on 1st January this year, and for a while was plagued with brown algea. Now it has all but disappeared of it's own accord, which I am terribly relieved about.

If your tank is new, then just sit tight a while longer - I'm sure the brown algea will go on it's own fairly soon.

Most reactions

Back