Algae

cooper1973

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have been battleing with hair algae for sometime now its just clinging t plants like no bodys business its now becoming a problem. i have tried interpets algae remover but it just seems to be feeding it and wont kill it. what can i do

Does it look like:

1)
hair1.jpg

2)
oedogonium1.jpg

3)
rhizoclonium1.jpg

If you can fit them in and like them, Amano shrimps are often good at taking care of algae problems- especially hair algae.

Algae is usually as a result of an imbalance in your system. I had massive problems and it was a result of my tank getting too much direct sunlight during the day.

It might be worth jotting down all the stats of your tank, including plants and fish stock and the guys/gals in the planted section would be able to advise if it can be helped by a small light adjustment or something else.

I am not a big fan of buying stock to solve a problem. It would make sense to investigate what is causing the fast growing algae before buying some thing to eat it.

Kick off with tank size, substrate type, plants (quantity and type if known), filter, fish and ferts added. Or just take a piccy
laugh.gif
good.gif

Most reactions

Back