Algae

acech

Reaction score
Hi all,

My tank is in a position where it does get some sunlight on it during the day and as a result I am getting a small amount of algae appearing. I have a friendly community tank and I am looking for recomendations on which fish might be the best algae eaters, without eating the actual plants!?

Many Thanks

Chris

It really depends on what type algae you have. All algae eaters won't eat all types of algae. What does the algae you have look like? It is always best to remove the cause of the algae rather than just getting fish to eat it. What size tank is it and is there any way to get it out of the sunlight?

Plecos, snails, beware of plecos though because they are serious poop machines!!

If the tank is at least 15 gallons, and it isn't blue-green algae, and you are not overstocked, I would highly suggest getting 2 Otos. My little guy manages to keep my 20 gallon spotless, unless it's BG Algae.

KeddyPie said:
If the tank is at least 15 gallons, and it isn't blue-green algae, and you are not overstocked, I would highly suggest getting 2 Otos. My little guy manages to keep my 20 gallon spotless, unless it's BG Algae.
[snapback]881811[/snapback]​
Otos do a pretty good job but do need good water conditions. My luck with otos has not been good as they seem to die on me at the drop of a hat. I found that once I gave them something like cucumbers or zuchini as a supplement to the algae that they stopped eating algae and waiting on the veggies. Also, they are schooling fish so you need at least 3 if at all possible.

One other thing, if you go to buy otos, ask the LFS how long they have had them. Most otos are wild caught and shipped in from overseas so there is generally a pretty big die-off once they get to the LFS. If they've had them for a couple weeks, you should be fine and not have to worry as much about losing them.

Yeah i would agree with what has been said about ottos....

great little fish, good with algae but do like cucumber! again depending on your tank size, get as many as you can, i have 7 at the moment and i see them all so much more then when i only had 2 or 3, but unfortunatley be prepared for some losses.... after the first month you should be okay... all in all imho probably the best algae eater i've come across but if your not keen then maybe look into a bristlenose plec....i've only just got one for one of my other tanks so cant tell you much from my own experience but when i looked into it they seemed to come highly recomended! :) plus they stay alot smaller then most other plecs!

xx

pleco for me my oto cat cant compare with pleco on speed of killing algae :). Beside pleco is alot less expansive then other ugly looking species of algae eater.

Blade118 said:
whats wrong with chinese algae eaters by the way
[snapback]882055[/snapback]​
They are ok when they are young and small but will become very aggressive as they get older and begin to attack other fish and try to eat the slime coat off them. Flat-bodied. slow moving fish like angels and gouramis are especially susceptible.

Are you sure they are Chinese AEs? In your profile you ilst them as 3-4 cm max. CAEs get bigger than that, up to 10". Otos only get about 2" which is about 3-4 cm. What do they look like? Here is an Oto and a CAE.

dont look like that at all

ummm they like black and they have like lots of liitle dots on there skin

o yea before i got them it said on the tank they like green food and they grow up to 3-5cm

Most reactions

Back