Algae Problem

ming30galon

Reaction score
Hi,
I set up a new 30-gal tank about one month ago (see below for the tanks set up). Some brown algae patches already start showing up :-( . After reading some reviews from petco.com, I purchased Algae Destroyer Advanced (by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) and added about 2mL into tank tonight. One Zebrafish seemes quite stressed after that. It appears shy and always hides in the bottom corner. No precaution is mentioned on the package except for Crustacean. Have anyone noticed similar thing with this product before? And how efficient it really is at dealing with algae?
Thanks in advance.
Ming

Brown algae is common in new tanks so i wouldn't worry too much about it.
As for the chemical you added, it might contain copper if it's dangerous for crustaceans. This is also dangerous for scaleless fish. This should be ok for your zebra fish (Danio, not Daniel as in your signature :p ).

It might be something else affecting your danio. Try testing for Ammonia and Nitrite, especially as it's a new tank. Did you cycle it before adding any fish?

thanks Voo
the tank was cycled for a little over a week before adding fishes.
good thing is this morning everything look normal
like you said, I read at the FAQ that brown algae is common but I am still looking for ways to limit them

i agree with voo. I have a 5 gallon baby tank which has brown algae on the glass of the tank. I keep babies in it (dalmation mollies) and i'm not concerned at all. Mollies peck at algae anyway as in my large tank. I wouldnt concern yourself with too much chemicals but check you dont leave your light on excessively. Also too much blue light from a fluorescent tube will promote algae.

Why is it when people get a problem they feel they have to add a chemical to the water to cure it :S

Algae is caused by alot of things, like for instance the lighting being on for to long a period each day or high phosphates.etc

I never add anything to my tank unless all other options not working.

I currently have Hair Algae in my tank. I found out the phosphates levels where really high.

Algae uses them to take off and feed. Remove Phosphates then algae has little to go on.

Yes pjos,excessive food uneaten decomposes into phosphate and then into algae food! A chain reaction ! :D

I tested my Tap water for phosphates. Wait for it :blink:

Phosphates level = 0.14 mg/I P

Sould be less than 0.03 mg/L :crazy:

I have the same problem with my tap water, high phosphates. I have tried a product called Rowa-Phos. It comes in a tub with a stockingette bag. Fill the bag and put in your filter. The diatoms disappeared almost overnight. I'd rather put something in my filter than add chemicals to the tank.

regarding pjos's comment, I think it is typical of modern life: wish for quick fix and the temptation from readily available products.
besides, I don't think I feed them excessively (all flaks were gone in less then 1 minute) and I keep relatively limited lighting (only after I get home and before I go to bed, which is about 4 hours per day)
anyway, I won't be too concerned since this is a common problem with the new tank :)

Just to add, watch your tank carefully after you've added any algae destroyer. As most of them totally destroy your bacterial filter. So keep careful eye on ammonia/nitrite readings.

I thought I would give you some of the information that came with the Phosphate test kit which is a high sensitive kit.

What are phosphates?

Phosphates are naturally occurring inorganic salts, and can therefore be introduced into the system from a wide range of sources i.e. fresh water supplies, decomposition of uneaten food, fish waste, death of plants or animals, impure carbon, or contaminated gravel or rocks.

What is the effect of phosphate concentrations on my system?

Phosphates will significantly affect calcifiction of hard corals by inhibing the deposition of strontium.
Phosphates are a fertiliser for nusicance algae when combined with other factors such as nitrates and strong light.

In most aquatic situations the limiting nutrient ion in terms of algae growth is phosphate.
Phosphate limitation is therfore the single most effective means of algae control to the aquarist.
In marine systems, phosphate levels should always be maintained below 0.015mg/l (expressed as phosphorus "P")
In fresh water systems and ponds levels should be less than 0.03mg/l (expressed as phosphorus "P")
ROWA phos is strongly recommended for simple and effective phosphate removal.

Most reactions

Back