Algae on glass

bob`_your_dog

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been looking at tons of photos of reef tanks and they all seem to have huge amounts of algae on the back and side walls. I have been wanting this to happen to my tank ever since i set it up and still no sign of it what so ever! Maybe this has to do with the fact that me tanks only been running about 6 months or so now. So now i'm stuck with a crappy piece of cardboard that i painted blue.

But i also just realised, i have a powerhead that pumps water directly onto the back wall and runs the entire length of my tank, it creates a great wall of water movement, but this means that there is allways allot of movement over the glass, will this stop algae from growing over it or not?

I assume you are talking about corraline algae? If so you have to make sure that you have some already in your tank, this will seed the tank. I would put the piece of rock that has corraline on it in some high flow, and even scrape off a bit of the corraline with a razor blade. Your alkalinity and calcium levels have to be stable and then you wait. I wouldn't direct the flow in an area that you want it to grow (at first at least) because you are trying to let the algae get a foothold onto the glass, and the swift current may inhibit the algae getting a hold of the glass when first starting out. Once it gets started on the glass you can redirect the current back onto the glass.

Most reactions

Back