Algae Growing Fast!

Unicyclist

Reaction score
I have revently obtained a 20 gal long aquarium. In the last week algae has started to grow at a rapid pace! It is reddish brown in color and i believe it is brown algae. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get rid of the algae? :no:

If you dont have any plants and some fast growing species as they will use up the nutrients. Or you could reduce the amount of phosphate and nitrate in your amount by either using resins or large scale water changes with water low in these nutrients. Also there are some fish and freshwater shrimp that eat algae, their suitablity will depend on what fish you have in the tank.

It is common in newly set up tanks. Just remove the decorations and give them a good scrub. There is really no need to add any nasty chemicals or algae eating fish. This problem will resolve itself as the tank matures. Ottos love this stuff but they are not good for a new tank. I'm not sure about shrimp. I've never had them.

If you have plants have you been putting plant food in. I used to put liquid plant food in but algae went crazy. I now use tablets which still help plants but algae doesnt seem to grow much any more

Most reactions

Back