Algae Eaters

haleem8777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi
i need some help on algae or general tank cleaners, seeming as i dont really prefer using a magnet because the last time i used it sand got stuck and my tank glass got scratched

i was thinking about some otto ,shrimp and some other which i cant decide on i was thinking of some loach but i am worried they might eat any shrimp babies if there is any

so what do you suggest i should keep?

No fish will keep the glass of the tank truly clean for you, that is a job you will have to do yourself. If you do not like magnets then try a sponge designed for cleaning instead. 

I would also never recommend adding a fish just to do a job or solve a problem as ultimately they just create more mess in the form of waste and you will always be better off tackling the source of a problem if possible.

Tuxyu3 said:
I would also never recommend adding a fish just to do a job or solve a problem as ultimately they just create more mess in the form of waste and you will always be better off tackling the source of a problem if possible.
Here here!

You need to find out why you have too much algae and deal with that. How long are your lights on for? How big is your tank? What have you got in it? What are your water stats?

no , i dont have algae in my tank, i just needed suggestion to stop the algae in the first place.As prevention is better than cure.

I have some otto cats to eat algae and some shrimp to help keep the bottom of my tank looking its best. Oh yes and I have a bristle nose pleco

haleem8777 said:
Hi
i need some help on algae or general tank cleaners, seeming as i dont really prefer using a magnet because the last time i used it sand got stuck and my tank glass got scratched

i was thinking about some otto ,shrimp and some other which i cant decide on i was thinking of some loach but i am worried they might eat any shrimp babies if there is any

so what do you suggest i should keep?

i would not rely on any fish to clean the tank for you, thats your job, not theirs

Thanks for the help, mixed answers , keep the info coming in!!!!!

The main causes of algae outbreaks are having your lights on for too long, overfeeding, not doing water changes often enough and actually cleaning it up when you see it!

Get yourself in to gear when you see a little bit rather than letting it take over :p

If you make sure you keep on top of what I've mentioned though, you're probably going to keep things under control. Prevention IS better than cure :)

Step one: Determine what type of algae you are dealing with.
Step two: Determine the cause of the algae.
Step three: Correct the cause.

One should not be getting fish/shrimp/snails, to fix a problem. And all three will need thier diets supplemented.
My betta tank has a green spot algae problem that is due to excessive light.(only place I have room for the tank.) So, up the plants and scrub every waterchange.
My main tank has a diatom problem(ongoing), that I think is due to some of the eggrock. So clean what little is on the glass, wipe a few plant leaves and go. I could get ottos to help clean it up, but would get them more for the fact that next to cories they are the cutest little things. And would be prepared to add veggies and keep some rocks in tankwater on a windowsill to grow algae.

Haven't tried shrimp yet. And not much on snails.

yeah i guess its better i get hands on , and not rely on the fish , and for ottos , like frapadoodle said they are just so cute , you cant have a community aquarium without them, but i am not sure on shrimps , should i buy them?
sad2.gif

also i researched on Siamese algae eaters , would having them do any good
fish.gif

Never rely on algae eaters to stop your algae problem.
Theres only one solution:
finding the root of your problem and fix it and a lot of backbreaking hardwork.

That said on an healthy tank a good clean up crew helps making it look better.
Besides I love shrimps and how awesome it is to have them on my tanks. Wouldn't miss it for the world
Algae eaters won't stop your algae but they definetely help clean up the mess if you do.

Most reactions

Back