Algae cleaner

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tyler777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is there any pill, pellets or chemical that will get rid of the algae on my tank ornaments ?
I know taking em out n wash em would do it but then I will have to remove em n mess up the whole tank. I have some siamese algae eaters but I guess they're on strike cause they're not doing a damn thing to eat it n cleaning up so I was wondering if any of you knows bout something I can just drop in the tank n that would get rid of the algae.

Thanks in advance

Work out why you have algae and remedy that. But bear in mind that some algae is perfectly normal, it's when it starts taking over that it's a problem.

How long are the lights on for?
do you add fertiliser to the tanks and if so which one?
How often and how large are your water changes?
Do you clean the substrate during water changes (siphoning up debris from the surface if you have sand or deep cleaning gravel with the siphon tube)?

Work out why you have algae and remedy that. But bear in mind that some algae is perfectly normal, it's when it starts taking over that it's a problem.

How long are the lights on for?
do you add fertiliser to the tanks and if so which one?
How often and how large are your water changes?
Do you clean the substrate during water changes (siphoning up debris from the surface if you have sand or deep cleaning gravel with the siphon tube)?
Light r on from 6 am to 6 pm
No fertilizer
Usually 25% water change unless something happened n need more
Yes I clean substrate

I use plug in timers to turn my lights on and off. They don't cost much and most hardware shops/Amazon/eBay sell them.

The best time for the lights to be on is when you are at home to see the fish. So instead of 6 am to 6 pm, if you use a timer they could be on for 3pm to 9pm for 6 hours for example.

I use plug in timers to turn my lights on and off. They don't cost much and most hardware shops/Amazon/eBay sell them.

The best time for the lights to be on is when you are at home to see the fish. So instead of 6 am to 6 pm, if you use a timer they could be on for 3pm to 9pm for 6 hours for example.
I think I will have to buy timers bcause my wife gets up at 1 am to get ready n leave by 2:30 am so we ho to bed around 6

OK, have the lights on 11 am to 5 pm. That way it'll still be light or the room lights on when the tank lights turn off. It is not good for fish for the tank lights to turn on or off when the room is in darkness; it is stressful for them. The room should be lit either with daylight or the room lights for an hour before the tank lights turn on and an hour after they turn off.
Byron explained it better than me, see post #8 in this thread

OK, have the lights on 11 am to 5 pm. That way it'll still be light or the room lights on when the tank lights turn off. It is not good for fish for the tank lights to turn on or off when the room is in darkness; it is stressful for them. The room should be lit either with daylight or the room lights for an hour before the tank lights turn on and an hour after they turn off.
Byron explained it better than me, see post #8 in this thread
Can't have em on from 11 to 5 bcause my wife leaves for work at 2 am n I leave atv6 am so byb11 am nobody is home

The timer plug turns on at the time you set it to. Same with when it turns off. Uses Wifi

I have 3 plugs set up. one for example
1.png
2.png
1729202423328.png

Most reactions

Back