Algae And Some Plant Questions.

jkurz4

Reaction score
in my 80l i have a green hairy sort of algae growoing on some of my plants and even a bit of brown dirty looking algae, is this caused by to much light i have them on for about 10 hours a day and now i keep them on for 8. i have about 2watt per gallon ratio. or could maybe to much plant food?

i bought an electric co2 diffuser about 4 days ago and have that set at 2 bps running when the lights are on.

at the moment i have 5 plants, anubius amazon sword ,banana lilly not to sure what the others are,
if there is anything i could be doing differently or products/ ferts to buy i would like to know

edit - my plants dont seem to be pearling but there is a bit of new growth on some

thanks

]

How often do you change your water? How long has the system been setup? An option may be to look at your photoperiod, how long the lights are on. People here, with higher light setups, often start with 6 hours for the first few weeks or so, then gradually move up to between 8 and 10 hours. You are already at 10 hours. What plant food are you using? How often do you dose? The dirty brown algae are diatoms, which are common with new systems and should disappear in time.

I also think you'd benefit from more plants as well, especially fast-growing ones. What type of lighting do you have?

i pulled my 2 tubes out , but couldnt find anything specific about the lighting apart from them the brand and the wattage , they are both 20 watts . One is a purple colour and one is white

My fish tank is 610mm x 310mm x 410mm. its inhabitants are 1 x moonlight gourami which is fed once a day - tropical fish flakes, and 2 x sucking catfish, purchased 3 days ago in hope they would eat the algae away.

i use "aquamaster plant food" daily. my tank has been running for 3 weeks and i have been changing a quarter of the water once a week. Just tested my ph and it is about 7.3-7.4 (seems to read this everytime i test even tho i have been adding half a teaspoon of ph down everyday).

i dont yet have a drop checker the shop was out when i bought the diffuser. are they necessary?

What are some fast growing plants?

edit - 1 of the lights says T8/20w
- 1 of the lights say YZ20w ????

Most reactions

Back