Algae and Light

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have what looks to be some brown/purple algae in my 75 gallon. It is growing on the wood and plants but I have usually kept it under control manually Usually by wiping the leaves off and scrubbing the wood. There is no algae on the tank glass or substrate.

I have the Fluval Plant LED light on for about 6 to 7 hours a day with a warm up and cool down process. I fertilize with Flourish once a week at water changes.

I have a variety of plants including Java Fern, Anubius and some other stem plants plus some floaters.

What options do I have with controlling this?

Would alternating light on one day light off the next help out with this or could I just keep the light of for a few days at a time?

My place I live in gets lots of ambient light.

Thoughts?

Pictures of the algae?

Purple and brown algae could be blue green algae (Cyanobacteria), which loves nutrients, low oxygen levels, red light and calm water.

Pictures of the algae?

Purple and brown algae could be blue green algae (Cyanobacteria), which loves nutrients, low oxygen levels, red light and calm water.
I can get some pictures tonight and post them.

Okay so to elaborate on this… the right side of my tank is usually shaded from the Fluval light with my floaters so that being said the plants, wood and rock on that side has none to very minimal algae growth whereas the left side has no coverage and that is where all the algae is.

I can look at my settings of the light in my Fluval app when I am connected to it and get you that info.

Nutrients meaning? Too much fertilizer? Not enough, plants aren’t using it fast enough?

I am running a Oase Canister filter for filtration and water movement. What are some ways to increase water movement? Some sort of powerhead? Air pump and bubble bars?

Thanks Colin

Pictures of the algae?

A few pictures attached below… also I responded to you above. Also I should mention that over the last couple weeks the algae has gotten a little lighter in color

Attachments

• IMG_9993.jpeg
    IMG_9993.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9994.jpeg
    IMG_9994.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9996.jpeg
    IMG_9996.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 11
While I am waiting for a reply from Colin I went ahead and turned my light off for the last 2 days and sure enough the algae has started to disappear (maybe my eyes are playing tricks).

But leaving my lights off for this period of time I am not sure if I am doing any damage to my plants.

I will wait for further instruction

The fluffy stuff on the driftwood is black beard algae.
The stuff on the rock could be black beard and blue green.

Lights that have too much red colour spectrum can encourage Cyanobacteria.
Having lights with a 6500K rating is fine but if the light has a 3000K-4500K then it has too much red. If the light is adjustable and has red, green, blue and white lights, have the same amount of each colour.

Nutrients can be anything from uneaten fish food, ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, fish waste, rotting plant, fertiliser. Basically anything that produces nutrients the Cyanobacteria or algae can use to grow on.

The easiest way to increase water movement is with an air pump and airstones. They also increase the oxygen levels in the water. Small water pumps like the AquaClear powerheads also work well at circulating the water but don't aerate it as well.

The fluffy stuff on the driftwood is black beard algae.
The stuff on the rock could be black beard and blue green.

Lights that have too much red colour spectrum can encourage Cyanobacteria.
Having lights with a 6500K rating is fine but if the light has a 3000K-4500K then it has too much red. If the light is adjustable and has red, green, blue and white lights, have the same amount of each colour.

Nutrients can be anything from uneaten fish food, ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, fish waste, rotting plant, fertiliser. Basically anything that produces nutrients the Cyanobacteria or algae can use to grow on.

The easiest way to increase water movement is with an air pump and airstones. They also increase the oxygen levels in the water. Small water pumps like the AquaClear powerheads also work well at circulating the water but don't aerate it as well.

Here is my light schedule.

Does anyone have any light settings I could follow?

Attachments

• IMG_9997.png
    IMG_9997.png
    202 KB · Views: 6

Most reactions

Back