Albino Cory Cat

becky0323

Reaction score
Hello. I am fairly new to the hobby, and things have been going well. I now have an albino cory cat that is being quite listless and breathing quite heavily. Any ideas what is wrong or what I can do to help? The water has been tested and all levels are OK.

Thanks!

Hello. I am fairly new to the hobby, and things have been going well. I now have an albino cory cat that is being quite listless and breathing quite heavily. Any ideas what is wrong or what I can do to help? The water has been tested and all levels are OK.

Thanks!

What is "OK"?

What is the temperature?

Do you have more than one? What size is the tank and what else is in there?

Thanks!

What is "OK"?

What is the temperature?

Do you have more than one? What size is the tank and what else is in there?

The water meets all the correct readings on the test kit. The temperature is 80 degrees. We have a 20 gallon tank and there are 3 corries, 3 platys, 6 neon tetras and 5 gray and black schooling fish (not sure what they are called).

What does the test kit say are appropriate? The jungle strips say ammonia below 1 ppm and nitrite under (I think) 2 ppm is "Safe" but those levels are potentially lethal to all but the hardiest fish. I've had pet stores say water that's unsafe even by the kit's definitions was "ok". Any ammonia that isn't 0 is bad, any nitrite that isn't 0 is bad.

Yes, agree with Corleone. The symptoms fit water problems and only the right kind of test kit will tell you the numbers you need to know.

agree with the above, we'll need a bit more info to get a real diagnosis.

it's quite hard to judge these things over the net so we need you to be as full and descriptive with your answers as you can be.

if you can give us a run down on the tanks history, how long it's been running, how it was cycled, any diseases etc that you've had

we will need the actual readings, the test kit should give you either ppm or mg/l for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, if you can give us the actual numbers that will mean much more to us than 'fine', after all not all fish are the same, with things like pH what is fine for one fish won't be fine for another, so the numbers are what you should work on!

If you can also tell us what the test kit is, what brand nad if it's strips, tablets or liquid reagents.

Can you also tell us the makes and models of the equipment (particularly the filter) that you have running

and give us a run down of your maintenance routine, how often you change water, clean the gravel and filter and how you do it.

:good:

agree with the above, we'll need a bit more info to get a real diagnosis.

it's quite hard to judge these things over the net so we need you to be as full and descriptive with your answers as you can be.

if you can give us a run down on the tanks history, how long it's been running, how it was cycled, any diseases etc that you've had

we will need the actual readings, the test kit should give you either ppm or mg/l for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, if you can give us the actual numbers that will mean much more to us than 'fine', after all not all fish are the same, with things like pH what is fine for one fish won't be fine for another, so the numbers are what you should work on!

If you can also tell us what the test kit is, what brand nad if it's strips, tablets or liquid reagents.

Can you also tell us the makes and models of the equipment (particularly the filter) that you have running

and give us a run down of your maintenance routine, how often you change water, clean the gravel and filter and how you do it.

Hello

We have an API master test kit. The results were:
Amonia 0
PH 7.6
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

We use a bio wheel for a filter. We have had the tank since April and it was cycled for 5 days before we added fish. Water is changed every other week with a vaccum to clean the gravel. We feed the fish every other day flake food and an algae tablet for the corries, which it seems lately the other fish are eating more of it than the corries,

The albino cory is still alive, haven't seem it swim yet but it isn't panting like it was last night.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks!
:good:

ok excellent, well your water stats are great so that's the first thing ruled out, i'm dubious about the nitrate reading as it';s v hard to keep it at 0, but its the least important so don't worry over it too much.

maintenance routine also sounds to be about right :good:

feeding, do you give any catfish pellets, cories don't just need algae they also need protein and meat in their diets, you can get sinking catfish pellets, you should use these as the cories main staple diet then supplement it with things like algae wafers, prawns, peas etc. :good:

was the cory in the tank right from the start, after the 5 days cycle?

Unfortunately 5 days running the tank empty doesn't actually cycle it, the bacteria won't grow in the filter without some food source like ammonia or fish waste, so what will have actually happened is you went through a fish-in cycle after the 5 days without knowing it. If you read the link in my sig 'whats cycling' this should explain a bit more about the process.

When fish go through a fish-in cycle it can do permanent respiratory damage to them, the ammonia burns their gills and respiratory system and as such they can suffer with it for life, it's uncurable and can be fatal.

Sometimes it won't manifest itself immediately but it'll just weaken the fish and that means when something does come along like a disease they are much more susceptible to it and have a lower chance of recovery.

I'm not sure and I don't know how we could tell, but it could be that the cory was weakened by the cycle and since then has not had the correct nutrition, the effects of these two things over 5 months could build up to a point that they become very ill or very susceptible to disease.

I would suspect that he has picked up a bacterial infection and is struggling to fight it off because of these factors. I would initialy try a bacterial med like Myaxin :good:

ok excellent, well your water stats are great so that's the first thing ruled out, i'm dubious about the nitrate reading as it';s v hard to keep it at 0, but its the least important so don't worry over it too much.

maintenance routine also sounds to be about right :good:

feeding, do you give any catfish pellets, cories don't just need algae they also need protein and meat in their diets, you can get sinking catfish pellets, you should use these as the cories main staple diet then supplement it with things like algae wafers, prawns, peas etc. :good:

was the cory in the tank right from the start, after the 5 days cycle?

Unfortunately 5 days running the tank empty doesn't actually cycle it, the bacteria won't grow in the filter without some food source like ammonia or fish waste, so what will have actually happened is you went through a fish-in cycle after the 5 days without knowing it. If you read the link in my sig 'whats cycling' this should explain a bit more about the process.

When fish go through a fish-in cycle it can do permanent respiratory damage to them, the ammonia burns their gills and respiratory system and as such they can suffer with it for life, it's uncurable and can be fatal.

Sometimes it won't manifest itself immediately but it'll just weaken the fish and that means when something does come along like a disease they are much more susceptible to it and have a lower chance of recovery.

I'm not sure and I don't know how we could tell, but it could be that the cory was weakened by the cycle and since then has not had the correct nutrition, the effects of these two things over 5 months could build up to a point that they become very ill or very susceptible to disease.

I would suspect that he has picked up a bacterial infection and is struggling to fight it off because of these factors. I would initialy try a bacterial med like Myaxin :good:

I didn't know they also needed something other than algae wafers, so I will get some today. We do give the fish some dried shrimp every so often. I don't believe that this Cory was in from the beginning. They weren't put in until the tank was about a month or so old. Is this a good time to put some peas in again?

You have said you have three cories but are they all albino cories if not you really need to get more prefably 6 or more of the same species as they become stressed very easily i have 8 corydoras juliis and they never leave each others side bobbin and weaving they are great to watch i also had an albino on his lonesome that a friend gave to me but he wouldnt mix with the juliis and sadly he died after about three weeks so you may need to get more albinos

don't suppose you have a record of your water stats from around the time the cory was added do you?? :unsure:

You have said you have three cories but are they all albino cories if not you really need to get more prefably 6 or more of the same species as they become stressed very easily i have 8 corydoras juliis and they never leave each others side bobbin and weaving they are great to watch i also had an albino on his lonesome that a friend gave to me but he wouldnt mix with the juliis and sadly he died after about three weeks so you may need to get more albinos

There are 2 albino and the other I don't recall it's name. It is gray and black. I wouldn't mind getting more cories, but don't think I have enough room in the tank.

don't suppose you have a record of your water stats from around the time the cory was added do you?? :unsure:

No, unforuntately I do not. You have helped me in the past with other fish and the readings at those times and in between have always been great according to the API kit.

ok fair enough, didn;t think it was likely but worth an ask!

i do think it's most likely a bacterial infection regardless of the other possible causes/factors so I would recommend a decent bacterial med.

ok fair enough, didn;t think it was likely but worth an ask!

i do think it's most likely a bacterial infection regardless of the other possible causes/factors so I would recommend a decent bacterial med.

OK, well we have never needed to give the fish meds. Do I need to take it out of the tank?

if you have another tank that it can go in then yes remove it to give it good space and peace to recover, you'd need to set the filter for teh spare tank up with mature media from the main tank to cycle it instantly.

if not you can medicate the whole tank, you'll basically get a bottle and it'll say something like add 1ml for every 5 litres of aquarium water every other day for a week. So work out the quantities for your tank and just follow the instructions :good:

make sure when you're treating that you keep water as clean as possible and provide the best nutrition that you can. just like with humans the better the conditions you are in the higher your chances of recovery :good:

Most reactions

Back