Albino and Black convicts mating?

kevy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has anyone had black and albino convicts pair up before?

I have a male pink convict paired with a female black convict, or at lest I think they are paired. They seem to have set up a territory and chase every other fish out of it except each other. They are only about 2 ½ inches long though. This is a pair I have, correct?

(By the way, they are in a 29-gallon with other convicts, which I plan on removing as soon as I’m sure this pair isn’t going anywhere.)

Now for my question… Will they produce healthy offspring and as many offspring as a normal (black + black or pink + pink) pair?

Will some of their offspring be albinos as well? Albinism is a recessive trait right? That means that if the black convict’s genes contain a recessive and dominant trait ¼ of their offspring will be albino? And if it is two dominants there will be no chance of getting any albino offspring?

Could someone clear this up for me?

…Thanks a lot. ;)

It sounds like they are paired up to me. I haven't bred any but I know of a guy who was trying to get a pair like yours because he was trying to get some calico convicts and this was how its done. They should produce as normal, and be healthy.
And if I'm not mistaken, the Pink cons are the Albinos of the stripped.
I'm sure CM or SMB or one of the other very experienced fish keepers can clear this up for you.

The offspring will be healthy. The 2 cons, altho different coloring, are still the same fish/species.

Thanks for the info. I did get a black/albino pair. They already have free swiming fry too.

i think it sbetter to breed mugrel it mean healthy fish!!!! and not soem weak pretty unhealthy deformed fish!!! i love mugrols!! :D :thumbs: its personality that counts!! :D :thumbs: also sound slike great mix... i have no idea what they will turn out like i asumme that most will be balck and maybe not any albinos.. but there might be balck but have the recessive albino gene so u never know hehe :D ohwell good luck with them sound like great fish

Most reactions

Back