Airpump Too Powerful?

If you restrict air flow too much it can damage an air pump. On the other hand, if you create a T in the air line and bleed off some of the excess air through a valve, it will reduce how much air goes to the tank without damaging the pump.

I have done that with a "T" before (you can also get them with up to 5 lines). Basically, they're made so you can connect several airstones to one air pump. Just connect one and leave the other line open. That may create too little air into the tank though as it will take the path of least resistance. You may have to slightly close the one outside the tank to get enough to go into the tank.

I have done that with a "T" before (you can also get them with up to 5 lines). Basically, they're made so you can connect several airstones to one air pump. Just connect one and leave the other line open. That may create too little air into the tank though as it will take the path of least resistance. You may have to slightly close the one outside the tank to get enough to go into the tank.

im going to buy a few meters of airline so i can keep the pump in the cubard because of the noise so over a distance it will probally loose some pressure anyway

for now i just put a few pin holes in the tube and it seems to work ok now :good:

You could just get a smaller air pump?

i bought an air pump with all the hoses, and stuff like that, i found it completely way way too powerful, so took one from a goldfish filter(never used) and that was perfect for a nice stream of bubbles

You could just get a smaller air pump?

i bought an air pump with all the hoses, and stuff like that, i found it completely way way too powerful, so took one from a goldfish filter(never used) and that was perfect for a nice stream of bubbles

its only some cheapy crap from china :lol:

when i get a bubble wand i think the bubbles will be better distributed

im going to buy a few meters of airline so i can keep the pump in the cubard because of the noise so over a distance it will probally loose some pressure anyway

for now i just put a few pin holes in the tube and it seems to work ok now :good:

I hope the pin holes are between the air pump and the check valve.

Try something like this Gang Valve. I have a t bar which splits my line straight from the pump, then one of these on each line which power my two airstones.

I hope the pin holes are between the air pump and the check valve.

Try something like this Gang Valve. I have a t bar which splits my line straight from the pump, then one of these on each line which power my two airstones.

i dont have a check valve but my pump is higher than the tank

The further you run it, the less pressure you will have. Not certain how far you are talking or how much pressureyou will lose. The gang valves work fine and are great rgulators. That's actually what I was talking about as a "T". I have one that is a simple "T" with regulators and another that andles 4 lines. As long as the pump is higher than the tank, you don't really need a check valve as there is no chance of the water bleeding back into the pump.

The further you run it, the less pressure you will have. Not certain how far you are talking or how much pressureyou will lose. The gang valves work fine and are great rgulators. That's actually what I was talking about as a "T". I have one that is a simple "T" with regulators and another that andles 4 lines. As long as the pump is higher than the tank, you don't really need a check valve as there is no chance of the water bleeding back into the pump.

ive bought a 6 meter airpipe so i should get the right pressure from that plus with a bubble wand the bubbles will be more spread about :good:

The only issue you might have is if although the pump is higher than the tank, if there is a loop of pipe that is below the waterline the water can syphon up the tube until it has filled this loop, (even if you haven't the water will syphon backwards into the airline that is submerged in the tank, up to the water level). Not overly a problem, but it does mean that if you switch the pump off, when you switch it on again it's got to clear that water out. Also I found allowing water into the airline tube made the tube go green. I always use a checkvalve now whereever my pump is so that the only thing in my airline is air :)

i have a check valve on mine, and the tube still fills half full of water, never been a problem tho just means bubbles dont come out for a few seconds when switched on

Most reactions

Back