Air Pump

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

friezafish

Reaction score
Is an air pump actually required? What if I only run it for 16 hours? It’s really loud and I work from home for a call center, so I need my hearing. This is for Glofish.

No, an air pump is not always required.

What is required is surface agitation. If you can get that from your filter, your water will have enough oxygen for fish to thrive under normal conditions and temperature.

Yup as long as your filter achieves enough surface movement to allow for gas exchange your good. Most people use the air pump because they like the look of the bubbles. I use one in my filterless tank

If you have an air operated filter, the air pump is required to be run at all times.

If you have a power filter, then you don't need an air pump unless the water is really warm or you are using chemicals to treat the fish.

What sort of filter do you have?

I think it is a power filter because there’s surface agitation. I’m not sure exactly since kind of lost the packaging. The water is 78 deg F. I have treated it with a few things to start the aquarium cycle and to meet chemical requirements. I saw there’s something called a sponge filter? Would that work instead?

I think it is a power filter because there’s surface agitation. I’m not sure exactly since kind of lost the packaging. The water is 78 deg F. I have treated it with a few things to start the aquarium cycle and to meet chemical requirements. I saw there’s something called a sponge filter? Would that work instead?
Sponge filter require air pumps

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

can we get a picture that isn't horrible colours?
Sorry, didn’t want to bother taking out the filter since it’s already hooked in. I’ll call the store in the morning and ask what kind it is. It looks like there’s plenty of surface agitation though.

Ended up just taking it out at a water change. Here’s the water filter. I think it’s a submersible air pump?

Attachments

• F8B5A562-F52D-487A-ABCE-6F828D48CEF9.jpeg
    F8B5A562-F52D-487A-ABCE-6F828D48CEF9.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 77
The last image looks like a water pump and some pipe work that presumably goes to the filter.
Does the plastic hose go to anything?

It’s a compartment with a heater section, mixed media / sponge filter section, and the submersible air pump which pushes water in one direction / flow. The plastic hose connects to a circle piece that gives access to the main aquarium water tank as the sections are recessed into a separate hidden compartment.

Ok gotcha. You have a water pump pumping water up the hose into a filter tray. The tank water is filtered and heated and returns to the tank.

If the filtered water is dripping into the tank that should provide sufficient oxygen so you don't need the air pump running all the time.

Most reactions

Back