Aipatasia Help?

bennyblenny

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just started to set up my first marine tank! Have bought the RSM 250 and it has taken a while to get everything sorted, but yesterday I put 30KG of cured live rock into the tank and then awoke this morning to 2 aiptasia's on a piece of the rock. I was wondering if it was going to be best to leave them there until the tank has cycled and place a Peppermint Shrimp in, or to buy a product such as Aiptasia X and inject it ASAP :-/

Any help would be muchly appreciated, as I am sure I will be needing all the help that I can along the way with my new marine adventure

Thanks

Hi all, I have just started to set up my first marine tank! Have bought the RSM 250 and it has taken a while to get everything sorted, but yesterday I put 30KG of cured live rock into the tank and then awoke this morning to 2 aiptasia's on a piece of the rock. I was wondering if it was going to be best to leave them there until the tank has cycled and place a Peppermint Shrimp in, or to buy a product such as Aiptasia X and inject it ASAP :-/

Any help would be muchly appreciated, as I am sure I will be needing all the help that I can along the way with my new marine adventure

Thanks

I found that my single peppermint shrimp and an aiptasia eating file fish were extremely effective in sorting out my Aiptaisia. They were so good at it, I sometimes go to one of my LFS to buy a small piece of live rock which has aiptasia on it to give them a treat!!!

Alan

Ah good to know! Thanks very much, I've heard this stuff is a pain in the backside, so as soon as my water levels are perfect I shall be going to get one to chow down on the #29### :)

I'm afraid I would have to disagree. Peppermint shrimp can be very hit and miss. Sometimes they will eat them, other times they will ignore them completely.

If you can get the rock out without too much hassle then cut off what you can and burn the rest off with a soldering iron, windproof lighter or small blow torch (wear protective goggles).

If removing the rock is an issue then use Aiptasia X or Joes Juice as soon as possible. They can spread quite quickly so better to get rid of them sooner rather than later using an known effective method. Better to kill them now via either method then when their is livestock in the tank also as its less disruptive.

If they are in a hole, another method is to cover the hole with coral epoxy. Haha, very Cask of Amontillado.

Most reactions

Back