Agressive Pregnant Female

dortiz24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is in regards to the same female I posted about earlier today. I've been keeping an eye on her for the past few hours and have noticed the following behavior:
1. She is hanging out near the top of the plant bunch I have in one corner.
2. She seems to be eating just fine.
3. Other fish are contiuously swimming around her.
4. When they come near she displays her fins very full and backs herself up toward the near fish and lashes them with her tail, some of the other female guppies return the favor. lol
5. She has been in this spot for a couple of hours now, as have the other female guppies who I know aren't going to give birth for a couple weeks still at least. The males are still doing their usual chasing from one female to the next. They aren't bothering this aggressive one too much though.

All my other fish seem to be just fine. No change in their behavior. I want to to know if this is behavior she is about to give birth. I don't have my breeding trap yet and I only have a vase I can put her in. Should I do that or leave her where she is? I don't know which, if either, would be less stressful for her. preg_fish.jpg :unsure:

She is defo about to give birth. Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could put her in the vase, but it will stress her out. If she gives birth in the tnak, there is a good chance that some fry will make it.

I've been keeping an eye on her for the past few hours and have noticed the following behavior:
1. She is hanging out near the top of the plant bunch I have in one corner.
2. She seems to be eating just fine.
3. Other fish are contiuously swimming around her.
4. When they come near she displays her fins very full and backs herself up toward the near fish and lashes them with her tail, some of the other female guppies return the favor. lol
5. She has been in this spot for a couple of hours now, as have the other female guppies who I know aren't going to give birth for a couple weeks still at least. The males are still doing their usual chasing from one female to the next. They aren't bothering this aggressive one too much though.

Hi i posted something similar about a week ago, my pregnant female i should say about to bust female, is acting the same (agressive behavior,chassing male around, eating fine) way for about a week now and still have not given birth
Sorry i don't know if this is normal or not but at lease you know you are not alone, i've had my breading tank ready for a week now but she's giving no signs of calming down.
Good luck

Attachments

• harriette_12_5_7.jpg
    harriette_12_5_7.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 54
Yeah, same here. She still hasn't given birth. And she is SO BIG!!!! She still tends to be aggressive but it isn't all the time. I hope she's okay and when she pops and I can only imagine she'll have A LOT of babies! Good luck to you as well.

Has she given birth yet?
my guppys do this to within a day they give birth, other fish hanging around will detect hormones from her as labour begins so are hanging on for a free meal, let her have fry in the tank this time until you get a net, im sure as you have floating plants lots of fry will be in this then you can put them in the net, good luck :good:

She hasn't had the babies yet. She is acting quite territorial still. Lashing at the other fish with her tail. She eats just fine. I never see her spit food out. I have a few females who are all pregnant and like to hang out in the plants, including her. It's hard to tell who is attracting the attention. This specific one is however my biggest. I added more articficial plants today as my breeder hasn't arrived yet. One of my other guppies had about 13 fish yesterday. Only 4 survived. They seem to be appreciating the new plants. I've been told 13 is a small number for a guppy. She seems healthy enough. She wasn't very big either when she gave birth. I have 3 males who are quite a nuisance with the females. Could they have stressed her into early birth?

Males are a pain they will try to mate 24-7, 13 fry is a good number also letting them give birth in the tank and survival of the fittest is best, you have a good number of males to female i dont know about you but i find certain males wont leave certain female alone even though there are more :rolleyes: . as long as they are eating well no problem, things happen in their own time :good: , all the best Donna x

I still think that 13 is small, but if she's young, old or just not one of the most fertile strains, 13 is normal for her. It's certainly no reason to worry, you won't be overrun with fry.

The hanging around the plants is dead normal. All female livebearers do this for up to 5 days before they give birth. If they are close to the plants when they give birth, the better chance the fry will have of hiding.

There is no reason for her to stop eating, it would be a bad sign if she stopped eating earlier than 1 day before dropping fry. If she does refuse food or seem reluctant to leave her hiding place to eat, it's a sign she's very close. Females produce a hormone that stops them from eating their fry. Fry are often not in danger from the mother for the first six hours or so.

Other fish detect hormones that tell them the female is close to giving birth. Males hang around her because they want the first chance to mate, and also to attempt to kill all the fry which are probably not theirs. Females want to remove any fry that are not their own to give their own fry a better chance at living. Both sexes appreciate the meal. Pregnant females close to dropping will attempt to keep other fish away because they don't want their fry chomped.

Good luck with her. She looks enormous, there must be plenty of fry in there. (Or else you're lucky and you have fish that drop big fry. Mine don't, they're tiny little slow-growing things.)

Thank you so much for that reply! That makes so much since with what I've been observing.

I recieved my breeder today. So I put her in it and am just hoping something happens soon.

Most reactions

Back