agressive gold gourami

teacherspet

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got a goold gourami and added him to my 25 gallon with a male blue dwarf gourani and a male honey gourami, one male platy and 2 female juvenile platy. The gold and honey keep chasing the blue one. I had the honey and blue in a 10 gallon prior but moved them to the larger tank and this never happened, in fact the blue was the more aggressive one. I have a 5 gallon with 2 female juvenile platy and am in the process of re setting up my 10 gallon (it went septic on me :byebye: ). Should I move any of the fish to the 5, or wait until the 10 gallon is set up and which fish do I move into it? I have been looking for some female gouramis to keep the boys company, but noone seems to have them. Apparently noone buy them since the males are more colorful...

I had that problem with my 2 blues, i tried swapping one of the fish but it didn't work so i separated them, i don't think gouramis go well with each other. imo you should take one of the agressive ones back to the shop and swap it for something else.

Your 'blue' gourami is a dwarf... correct? Set up that 10 gallon tank and move him to there. You wont be finding female honeys (I suppose this is not a dwarf gourami? the actual honey gourami?) and honey gouramies tend towards being more aggressive then dwarfs (though many people seem to disagree). You should be able to find gold females though and getting a pair of these for your large tank will help. Until the 10 gallon is set up, provide your dwarf with a lot more cover (floating plants, ornaments of any kind, plants, fake plants, rockwork etc...). If there is too much aggression, take the dwarf out and put him in the 5 gallon until the 10 is ready (try not to keep him in there for too long).

I had that problem with my 2 blues, i tried swapping one of the fish but it didn't work so i separated them, i don't think gouramis go well with each other. imo you should take one of the agressive ones back to the shop and swap it for something else.

I have a feeling you are reffering to the blue three-spot gourami but you may not be. I have to disagree about gouramies not going well together. It all depends on the tank and fish and your choices.

In a large tank, male dwarfs can be kept together if they have room to establish a territory. Having a pair of females to every male also helps. They are also known to not bother other species, only fellow dwarfs. A male and female per tank is what I would recomend though I know how difficult it can be to get hold of a female. Three-spot gouramies (gold, blue, opaline etc.), IME, are quite aggressive towards each other and there should only be one male per tank with any number of females or no other gouramies at all. The exception is in very large tanks with lots of cover. The small honey gouramies are surprisingly aggressive for their size, IMO, and are difficult to mix with other gouramies or vulnerable, small fish though they can sometimes do quite well in a peaceful community with no other gouramies and kept in pairs or one male and a few females. Moonlight gouramies are not usualy aggressive but large and behave like a somewhat more docile three-spot. Pearls are, IME, the most peaceful out of those mentioned (though I have recently found people who disagree) and are probably one of the few gouramies I would ever suggest keeping on their own (others can become terrors when kept alone)...
In general, it is possible to combine similar species (three-spots, pearls and moonlight, for example) provided you ensure a suitable environment and recognise that some will be more timid than others and need adequate cover to make them feel secure and keep them happy.

Most reactions

Back